On the 8th or 9th of June, a message went out frpm c;[email protected]

Customer Question
On the 8th or 9th...
On the 8th or 9th of June, a message went out frpm c;[email protected] to every person on my AOL e-mail list. The message was received from 59.183.146.70 by webmail-m066. None of these e-mails was initiated by me.
Can you explain how these messages went out without my authorization? How access to my computer was achieved when AOL was shut dow? Who is the responsible person?

Thank you,
Ed [email protected]
Carole Lee Interiors
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/17/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Welcome to JustAnswer.

I would like to say to start off, I am not a representative of AOL. I am just an IT professional that is attempting to assist you with your issue.

The IP address of 59.183.146.70 is based in India under the Triband or Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd. ISP.

It is possible that your AOL password XXXXX been compromised. You do not have to have AOL running on your PC or even have your PC on. AOL e-mail can be access from any computer at any time, by going to http://webmail.aol.com

Tracking down the responsible person will be nearly impossible. Hackers and phishers use many tactics such as proxies to spoof their locations or even installing remote software on low security computers that have been hacked to use them for their bidding without being traced.

I would strongly suggest going to (https://account.login.aol.com/opr/_cqr/opr/opr.psp?null) and changing your password. I would suggest a password XXXXX is at least 15-20 characters, with a good mixture of uppercase, lowercase, and numbers to make the password XXXXX to crack (i.e. M1y2p3A4s5S6w7O8r9D). Also make your security questions very difficult to answer. Don't use something as common as mother's maiden name or first child's name. Make the answer very difficult, and I would even suggest throwing in a sequence of numbers at the end of the answer to make it harder for the hacker.

Also, before you log in, look at the address bar of your browser to make sure you are on the right site to log in. (i.e. make sure your address bar says https://webmail.aol.com and not something like http:// 123abc. randomurl.com/ www.aol.com/). A lot of phishers/hackers have been using the tactic of making a page look exactly like your log on page to trick you into typing your password.

If in doubt, type in the base URL yourself (i.e. http://www.aol.com) in the browser.

I hope this information is helpful and be care in the future.