I am having a problem w outlook and word for windows 7 vista.

Customer Question
I keep getting the error...
I am having a problem w outlook and word for windows 7 vista. I keep getting the error message "could not create the work file. check temp environment." is there a way to resolve this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/17/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Aziz, Computer Operator replied 8 years ago
Aziz
Aziz, Computer Operator
Follow the steps given below:-

a. Start->Run-> enter "regedit" and hit 'enter' to run the program to edit Registry variables.

b. Go to folder -> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Cache"

c. Check the variable values- All the variable should have values starting "%USERPROFILE%\". Any variable which is not having this starting point is probably corrupted. In my case, all the corrupted variables had a corresponding "Backup_VariableName". Example: my "cache" variable had a corrupt value while there was a variable called "backup_cache" with correct values

d. Change the value of all the corrupted variables to correct values. Example change value of "cache" variable to "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files" and so forth.

e. Close all the Ms Office Programs and re-start. The problem should be fixed now.

Thanks

Edited by Aziz on 6/17/2010 at 5:06 PM EST

All of the variable values have that at the beginning except for the "default" which says "value not set" and I do not see a backup_default. Can you tell me what I need to put for the default variable? Do you think that is what is causing my problem?
thanks!

Amelia

see the link below for easy procedure to solve your problem with images

http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm

Thanks

Edited by Aziz on 6/17/2010 at 6:29 PM EST
Use this step to fix
- Press Windows Key + R to open Run Command
Note : Windows Key is key between Left Control and Left Alt
- Type regedit and press Enter
- Registry editor will open

- Double click key to expand HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

- On the right pane, double click Cache key
- If you are using Windows XP, copy and paste this value %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files to the key
- If you are using Windows 7 or Vista, copy and paste this value %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files to the key

\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

- Copy and paste this value %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files to the key
- Exit registry editor

- Restart Computer
Aziz,

I followed directions and then restarted the computer and I will let you know if it worked or not.

Thanks!

Amelia

Ok i will be here to help you out.....

Thanks

Aziz,

So far so good. The only thing I'm not sure about is that sometimes this problem has disappeared for a few hours only to come back the next time I go to use the computer. Is it okay if I accept the answer after I make sure it's still working tomorrow?

thanks!

Amelia
it will be better than because I solved your problem will accept my answer and leave positive feedback also.

Thanks

Hi Aziz,

The solution did not work. I turned on my computer and just as I feared, I still have the same problem. It says "could not create work file, check temp environment." When you told me to change the variable in the cache-- the variable was already exactly what you told me to paste in there so I don't think that was the problem. It has to be something else. What else could be causing this problem?

Thanks,

Amelia
Tech Support Specialist: Robert M., Consultant replied 8 years ago
Robert M., Consultant

what version of outlook are you using. the ones before 2010 are not completely compatible with windows 7

and have you tried just reinstalling the outlook

there is also no such thing as windows 7 vista. win 7 and vista are two totally seperate operating systems which one are you using ?

Edited by robert on 6/19/2010 at 6:26 AM EST
Hi Robert,

I'm using Vista. sorry about that! I would love to just uninstall and reinstall word and outlook. How do I do that? They were working fine for about 6 months and this just happened. My outlook is 2007.

Thanks!

Amelia

you uninstall from control panel / add remove programs

well where did you install them from ? if you have the cd you can install from there

if you have the product key and you dont have the actual cd you can download a trial version and use the product key to make it legitimate.

you can try the repair option when you click on it in the add remove programs it might work but a clean uninstall and clean reinstall has a better chance for success

Robert,

I will try this. I will let you know if this works. Thank you.

Amelia
please do thank you
Robert,
Do I need to uninstall all of these things that say Microsoft:
Microsoft.NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft Silverlight
Microsoft SQL Server Native Client
Microsoft SQL Server Setup Support Files (english)
Microsoft SQL Server VSS Writer
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable

probably not. though it is an option for the next step

try just the microsoft office. and you can try the repair option but if you have the original disks it would be better to uninstall completely and then reinstall.

Robert it did not work. I am getting the same error message. What other solution is there?
thanks,

Amelia

try installing the newer version of netframework

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9cfb2d51-5ff4-4491-b0e5-b386f32c0992&displaylang=en

meanwhile i am going to try to find where the environment variables are on win 7 and what they are supposed to be.

you can also try reinstalling the ms office but choose advanced or custom installation

when it tells you what folder it is going to install it to change the folder to c:\office

Robert-- I have WINDOWS VISTA. Thank you! I will try this.

ok if that does not work try using dial a fix especially the repair permissions tool

http://djlizard.net.nyud.net:8080/software/Dial-a-fix-v0.60.0.24.zip

download the dial-a-fix

run it do the policy check

hit the green check mark and go to run everything on the first page

dont worry if it flags errors registering dll's it just means you have newer versions than they are checking for and it ignores them and gives you a message.

under the hammer tools

repair permissions

sfc scan

sfc purge.

Robert,

I cant use dial a fix bc it's not set up for vista. I'm still having this problem and I've followed all the other instructions you have given me thus far.

Thanks,

Amelia

it works better for xp but it will still work for vista. it may flag some errors registering dll's because you have newer versions than it expects but it will just ignore them it wont do any damage.

the permission thing should work that is under tools. and that is the most likely to help

Robert,

I received an error message specifically saying it doesn't work with Vista.
no it says it is designed for xp and will not work perfectly with vista it will work with vista just not all functions of it
Robert, it says: dial a fix is not ready for windows vista (yet). There are many changes in vista that prevent the normal operation of dial a fix. check the dial a fix website after windows vista has been released in the retail market.

And then when I hit OK the message goes away but the application does not run.

Thanks,

Amelia

hmm other people have used it on vista there might be a different version out

anyway lets look at the temp issue.

1 make sure that you have administrator rights in the account that you are using

2. create a folder c:\temp

3. right click on my computer

4. go to advanced tab

5. go to environmental variables

6 change TEMP and temp to c:\temp