For the last 3 days I have been unable to open the messages…

Customer Question
For the last 3 days...
For the last 3 days I have been unable to open the messages in my inbox. I can login successfully and delete junk messages - but can't open any of the emails I need to read!!

Please help!

Audrey [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/17/2010
Tech Support Specialist: namstech, Electrical Engineer replied 8 years ago
namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Are you using some email client like Outlook on your computer?

What is your email provider (e.g. hotmail, yahoo, gmail)?
I do run Outlook on this computer as well for business. The Gmail account is my personal email.

Can you open your emails from signing in through the gmail through the website?
Sorry, I don't understand what you are asking. I go to https://mail.google.com/mail and login with my gmail email and password.

Go to www.gmail.com and sign-in with your email and password. See if you can open the messages in the inbox
Yes - I can login successfully but still cannot open any email messages. There is a "Loading..." box at the top middle of the screen that never disappears. Also, I cannot Sign Out. I have to close the browser.

Check if you have too many message in your inbox.

Also, close Outlook and check.
I closed Outlook and then logged into gmail. I had 54 messages in my inbox and I have now deleted 23 - so there are 31. I still cannot open any new messages or sign out.
Are you still there? I am still having the same problem after closing Outlook.

Have you tried opening gmail with a differen browser?
I just tried to open in Internet Explorer instead of Firefox and was able to open email messages. I hate IE but I guess I will have no choice but to use it in order to access gmail. Thank you!

It seems an issue with firefox corrupt extension files.

We can try correcting this issue. What is the operating system you are using?
Windows XP Professional v5.1 SP2.
I stopped using IE about a year ago when only half the page would load and it would constantly lockup. I have had no problems with Firefox - that is until this issue now with gmail.

Do you have any important bookmarks in your firefox?
Yes, I have about 30 websites bookmarked in Firefox.

Please try clearing your firefox cache and internet history as follows and then try loading gmail again.

Clear History

1. From Tools -> Clear Recent History.

Clear Cache

1. From Tools, click Options.

2. In the dialog that opens, select Advanced Tab.

3. Now click Network Tab and press Clear Now button.

Once the cache is cleared, try logging into gmail again.