Our ipod touch 2nd generation issue The ipod indicates a…

Customer Question
Our ipod touch 2nd generation...
Our ipod touch 2nd generation issue: The ipod indicates a picture of a usb cable with an up arrow pointing to iTunes. Once connected, the iTunes message states "iTunes has detected an ipod in recovery mode. You must restore this ipod before it can be used with itunes." At this message, we have chosen "OK". Please know that the iTunes software is up to date, effective today. We have chosen "OK" on two separate MacBooks and have the same outcome. The outcome: After choosing "OK", ipod update software is downloaded to the MacBook, extracted, and ipod is "prepared", the ipod bar beneath the apple icon slowly fills. Soon, the update appears to be completed on the iPod, as the bar is full, yet it is hanging at the Apple with the bar underneath indicating completion. Also, the MacBook remains with a message "waiting for ipod" for more than 10 minutes. Additional info: We have shut down and started each of the devices prior to these attempts. Please advise me what needs to be done.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/17/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Have you tried putting the iPod Touch into DFU recovery mode?

DFU recovery mode can be done by doing the following:

1. Attach the iPod Touch to your Mac via the USB sync cable.
2. Open iTunes.
3. Hold the Power and Home buttons at the same time on the iPod Touch (do not let go) even after the screen goes off.
4. Immediately after the screen goes black, count to 4 (one thousand one, one thousand two, one thousand three, one thousand four) and release only the Power button (continue to hold the Home button).
5. Continue to hold the Home key until you see iTunes display a message "Your iPod is in recovery mode...."
6. With your iPod still black, press Restore on iTunes.

Allow the process to complete. This should resolve the issue.
Hi! Thanks for the question and step-by-step instructions. Yes, I put the iPod Touch into DFU recovery mode, and performed these exact steps. This did not previously resolve the issue, as the Apple icon remained on the iPod screen and the iTunes message indicated "Waiting for iPod" for more than 10 minutes each time. This was the process that I had previously described in my question that I had tried on two separate MacBooks. Just to be sure, i performed these steps once again, still obtaining the same outcome. It has been 10 minutes... should I wait any longer?
Generally, if DFU mode doesn't work, the only answer is either the Apple Store (Genius Bar) can try to fix it or the device is finished.

Can you tell me what caused it to be in this non working state? Was it dropped? Water damage? Did you jailbreak it? Did you attempt to put the 4.0 OS on it?

Thanks.

Edited by Mr. Clark on 6/17/2010 at 4:13 AM EST
RE: Can you tell me what caused it to be in this inoperatible state?
Was it dropped? NO
Water damage? NO
Did you jailbreak it? i dont know what that means
Did you attempt to put the 4.0 OS on it? NO

I was on battery power, using the Safari app on facebook. The iPod quit Safari and the screen froze, however, the music continued until I tried turning it off. The music went off. I unplugged the headphones, tried powering it off, holding the power button down for several seconds, then let go and pressed again to turn back on. I plugged the headphones back in and nothing happened
I would suggest DFU mode and try to restore once more. If that does not work, I would set up an appointment with the nearest Apple store or contact Apple directly if you don't have a store in your area, and see if they can repair it.

I wish there was more that I can tell you. if DFU doesn't work, there is a hardware issue.

Good luck. :)
Relist: Answer quality.
Mr Clark provided the same instructions in a step by step format that I had included in my original question as a process that was not working. His answer was textbook from the Apple site and was not satisfactory in resolving the issue. I would appreciate it if another individual would review our dialogue and reply accordingly.
Just to clarify, although my answer may be on the Apple website, the source was from years of experience of working with iPhones/iPods.

The resolutions of the issue will lie in hardware replacement or repair, in my professional opinion.

I will opt out to allow another expert to assist you, but I believe the end result will be replacement of the device or the Apple store repairing/replacing the device.

Thank you and good luck!