How do i find the encryption key of the access piont

Customer Question
? I bought a Panasonic...
How do i find the encryption key of the access piont ? I bought a Panasonic blue ray and their wireless device. We have a linksys router and the dvd is asking for the encryption key code. Is that our home group password?
It says "enter the encryption key of the access point being connected"
Or is that somthing that the router has?
Router is model No. wrt54g2
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/17/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Computer Engineer
Go to a PC that is already on the wireless network, go to Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt -> type in ipconfig

Tell me what the Default Gateway is.
192.168.1.1
Okay, from that same computer, go to Internet Explorer.

In the address bar, type in 192.168.1.1 and press enter

You should be prompted for an username/password.

Leave the username empty and for the password XXXXX in admin.

From here go to the Wireless -> Wireless Security

Your WEP key will be here.

If this resolves your issue, please the ACCEPT button so I can receive credit for the answer.

If it does not, you encounter an error message, or you still have questions, just reply to this thread.

Thank you.

Doesnt seem to be connecting to the 192.168.1.1 Continues to say "waiting for http:/ (etc) in lower left corner

Do you have a hardwired (ethernet cable) PC connected to the router?
yes, I think so hahahah (we have comcast cable) and router is connected to my PC
Go to Start -> type in iexplore 192.168.1.1 and press enter

Does that bring up the Linksys log in page?

brings up same windows security box, asking for password

Your WEP key will be here.

Did that! nothing happens, just sits there

Who set the router up? Whoever set it up probably set up the password XXXXX the router (which is what this prompt is for)?
We set it up ourselves and don't remember that setting a password XXXXX included. Obviously we're far from experts.

You will then need to reset your router and reconfigure it. But don't worry, I will walk you through it.

To reset your router back to factory, look on the back of your router. You should see a small hole with a button within it. With the router powered on, press this button in (with a paper clip or pencil) for 60 seconds (do not release during the 60 seconds).

After 60 seconds, power off your router and (Cable/DSL) modem

Power on only your (Cable/DSL) modem. Wait for the sync light to come on (usually about 60 seconds). Then power on your Linksys router.

Your Linksys is now back to factory, if you would like to set up the wireless security, continue.

With a hardwired computer, you will need to access the 192.168.1.1 web console via your internet browser. From here, the user name by default is blank and the password XXXXX admin

Then you will need go to to the Wireless tab -> Basic Wireless Settings subtab, change the SSID to the name you would like your network to be called then press Save Settings.

Then go to the Wireless Security subtab, and select your Security Mode.

WEP is most common --- 10 digits

WPA2 will allow you to use alphanumericals and special characters for your passcode.

Once you have set this up, press Save Settings.

Attempt connect to your new network with your new security code.

Amazingly enough, I tried one of my regular passwords, and now at the Linksys page, on Wireless security (thanks for your patience!!!)

Now where do I find the WEP key

No problem. Thank you for your patience. :)

Your WEP key will be here.
The security mode : WEP, but passphrase is blank, and is key 1
then you don't have a wep key...

you can always enter one (wep is usually 10 digits)
letters, numbers, any of my choice?
WEP is numbers only. 10 digits

You could try WPA2 which would be a mix of numbers and letters