When I turn on my laptob I get a screen that says GNU GRUB…

Customer Question
When I turn on my...
When I turn on my laptob I get a screen that says: GNU GRUB version 1.97 beta4
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Is that all the screen says?
Then it lists a bunch of Ubuntu,Linux 2.6.31-20Generic recovery modes and at the bottom 2 memory tests
Does it have the word "Panic" anywhere?
Nowhere
Okay, good.
I need more info about what is on the screen, can you give me more details, as much as you can?
It lists a bunch of choices of recovery modes. At the bottom it asks you to choose then hit enter to boot the selected os
Is there an option to boot normally?
not that i see. it wants you to select the recovery mode then hit enter
Okay, select the first recovery mode, and let it boot. Then tell me what happens.
I have done that and I get a small ubuntu logo in the center of the screen then it dissapears and the page goes black
And stays black?
Yes but when i choose the second one down which says recovery mode in parentheses next to it it asks for a root file system
Okay, two questions:

1. Do you have any data on the system that you need?
2. Do you have the install/recovery CD that came with the system?

J.
No stored data and no recovery cd. The computer is only a few months old and my daughter uses it to only search the web. I have no problem with starting over. there is nothing on it i need to save
Okay, good.
Did you purchase it new?
No was used lightly and given as a gift with no cd
Ouch.

What is the make and model?
Dell mini "n" series
Okay. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/
Download ubuntu, and burn a CD out of it - and then install the computer from scratch.

My only concern is that this happened, most likely, due to a disk crash. You might want to consider replacing the hard drive before re-installing. A new drive will run you around $70.

Thanks,

J.
James I just found the box and in it are 2 cd's One is a Ubuntu8.04+ LTS Recovery media disc and the other is a Dell Drivers and utilities disc
Are you still working with me?
Relist: I found a recovery cd after my associate came up with what i guess was my final answer. What the heck is going on? .
I found a recovery cd after my associate came up with what i guess was my final answer. What the heck is going on?
Hi, this is great. Boot the recovery CD, and it should reinstall the system.

J.