Toshiba Satellite Laptop was dropped, screen now shows top…

Customer Question
Toshiba Satellite Laptop was dropped...
Toshiba Satellite Laptop was dropped, screen now shows top left 2 inches.
Several questions:
# XXXXX: I have a Dell 19" LCD, I can move windows from laptop to second screen but cannot find a way to make it the default screen. I am moving with just a hit and miss attempt at dragging. Need to have desktop available on second monitor. Have cd with Dell driver but can't see enough of screen to run the cd and answer install questions. The option to make Monitor 2 primary is greyed out on property sheet.( I guessed it was because I need to have the driver. It lists two monitors but they are both the same(the laptops)
Question # XXXXX: This laptop has Office 2003, I prepare reports for clients and they use this version. I will buy a new laptop this week but if I take out hd drive and buy a casing to access as second drive, will I be able to use Word/Access etc. I don't think so, they write to motherboard? Any options for using software programs on laptop hard drive. Very stuck, thanks for the help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Nirjhar18, Computer Enthusiast replied 8 years ago
Nirjhar18
Nirjhar18, Computer Enthusiast
Chat Conversation Started
Nirjhar18 :

I will answer you second question first

Nirjhar18 :

if you take the hard disk out and make it portable hard disk

Nirjhar18 :

you can use your programs

Nirjhar18 :

as everything is stored in hard disk

Nirjhar18 :

Not in motherboard

Customer:

So just to verify, I will be able to use Office 2003 and Crystal Reports just as if I had my old laptop? I was told by someone at Best Buy that you couldn't use software programs because they wrote to the registry? Please confirm information and make sure I understand correctly. Do I need to move information before taking hard disk out?

Nirjhar18 :

Yes they are written in registry

Nirjhar18 :

you will have to install office 2003 again

Nirjhar18 :

but your documents will still be there

Customer:

I want to install Office 2007 on the new laptop, can I install Office 2003 on old hard drive, won't that interfere with new installation on new hard drive, there will only be 1 registry( the new one). Need to be up and running quickly so I need to know all of my options. THanks

Nirjhar18 :

you can install both 2003 and 2007 on one hard disk

Nirjhar18 :

it does not interfere at all

Nirjhar18 :

and if you want to install it on different hard disk

Nirjhar18 :

then you can attach the old hard disk first to the new laptop and then install on old hard disk

Nirjhar18 :

feel free to ask anything

Nirjhar18 :

or can we go to first question now

Customer:

If I attach second hd through e-sata connection, it would be faster?

Nirjhar18 :

nothing like that

Nirjhar18 :

it is just a connection

Customer:

Can you think of another option other than this one?

Nirjhar18 :

of installing office 2003 ?

Nirjhar18 :

it is the only option,you can install both on one hard disk or other hard disks...there wont be any problem

Customer:

way to access data on old laptop drive

Customer:

O.K. now question #1

Nirjhar18 :

do you have office 2003 cd

Nirjhar18 :

?

Nirjhar18 :

setup file

Customer:

no

Nirjhar18 :

You need office 2003 cd to install office 2003 again

Nirjhar18 :

let me recommend you something

Customer:

OK

Nirjhar18 :

save all the documents of office 2003

Nirjhar18 :

in a pen drive

Nirjhar18 :

and copy those to new laptop

Nirjhar18 :

office 2007 can open 2003 documents

Nirjhar18 :

and you can work in 2007 and you can save them as 2003 format

Customer:

that may be a better answer. Does Access work that way too?

Nirjhar18 :

yes

Customer:

good.

Nirjhar18 :

Now question 1

Customer:

yes

Nirjhar18 :

have to connected your lcd to laptop

Nirjhar18 :

as in can you see on LCD

Customer:

yes, can move windows to lcd but can't see desktop, start button etc - have to guess where it is on screen and try and grab and move. How can it boot up with second monitor?

Nirjhar18 :

Check the following link

Customer:

How can I check without losing you?

Nirjhar18 :

save this page

Nirjhar18 :

that is our conversation

Nirjhar18 :

you can reply here

Customer:

are you still here

Nirjhar18 :

yes

Nirjhar18 :

did you read that link

Customer:

yes but

Nirjhar18 :

did you see the resolution page

Nirjhar18 :

you will have to change the resolution

Customer:

problem is I still need to install the driver for the lcd - how do you do that when you can't see the middle of your screen - I can insert CD but can't figure out to run.

Nirjhar18 :

try to run in safe mode

Nirjhar18 :

keep pressing F8

Nirjhar18 :

while your system is starting

Nirjhar18 :

and choose safe mode from there