This is an excel question. Okay so I have 2 columns. The…

Customer Question
This is an excel question...
This is an excel question. Okay so I have 2 columns. The first column has a set of sorted numbers. The second column has a set of names that are associated with that number in the first column. The problem is, I want it to make a third and fourth column that has only one number and one person associated with that number. Meaning I want to get rid of all the repeats. Here is an example.

Column A Column B Column C Column D
1 Pete 1 Pete
1 Pete 2 Bob
1 Pete 3 Phill
2 Bob
2 Bob
3 Phill

So Column C and Column D just show one of the numbers from column A the name associated with that number in column D.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/16/2010
Tech Support Specialist: namzyanzy, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
namzyanzy
namzyanzy, Computer Support Specialist
Hi. Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. Could you upload sample file in the link below and then explain what exactly you need:

http://wikisend.com

Send me the link of the file you have uploaded.

It wont let me open this link because my company blocks the website.

Work OrderNameWork OrderName
24107140A WILLIAMS 24107140A WILLIAMS
24107140A WILLIAMS 24107190A WILLIAMS
24107140A WILLIAMS 24107180B CANNON
24107140A WILLIAMS 23637070B CAUSEY
24107140A WILLIAMS 23776060B CAUSEY
24107140A WILLIAMS and so on
24107140A WILLIAMS
24107140A WILLIAMS
24107140A WILLIAMS
24107140A WILLIAMS
24107190A WILLIAMS
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
24107180B CANNON
23637070B CAUSEY
23776060B CAUSEY
23834230B CAUSEY
23989870B CAUSEY

Let me know if this works. What I want is a code to get the last two columns from the first two columns.

We can definitely do that. But I would need the file to work on. I am unable to copy and paste these text into excel. Is there any way you could upload a sample file?
I guess I would have to wait till I get home. I will have to email you back. Thanks,
Just send a reply to this post and I will respond.

Edited by namzyanzy on 6/16/2010 at 9:34 PM EST