My daughter has a Inspiron 1525. It was working fine and now…

Customer Question
My daughter has a Inspiron...
My daughter has a Inspiron 1525. It was working fine and now it won't boot. Everytime you power it up it goes to the "repair" screen but it canno't fix the problem. It says that windows has a problem. I have tried f8 and tried every available avenue to get it to boot. IE: Safe Mode, Return to Last Known Good Configuration etc. No Luck. I no longer have the original system disk or I would load that. Since most of what she does is online and she has all of her original program disks for her games etc. I don't mind recovering back to the original system config. if I could get there. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/16/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Tom K, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager

The system should have the factory restore utility installed on the hard drive. I am going to give you instructions on how to access the restore utility before the computer boots in to Windows.

1. Turn the computer on and immediately start pressing F8 continuously until the Advanced Boot Options menu screen appears

2. At this screen, select the option for Repair Your Computer and press Enter

3. Select your language and then enter your login information. If you have no password XXXXX you username, then do not enter any password. Click OK.

4. Click on the Dell Factory Image Restore option

5. Click Next in this window

6. Click Yes to reformat the hard drive and restore system software to factory condition

7. Click Next and the restore should start

8. Click Finish when it completes and the computer will restart

Let me know if this works!

I am posting this as an answer, but please only click on Accept Answer if the restore works. Otherwise, please do not click on Accept Answer and post back here so we can find a better solution.

Edited by Tom K on 6/16/2010 at 7:56 PM EST

Tom,

I have tried this and after I select the language and hit next the screen freezes and won't display anything. I have also ran diagnostics and I get a code 2000-0142 which tells me to re-seat the hard drive (which I have done) this to does not work.

When the screen freezes, about how long have you waited before turning off?

There is a possibility the utility is still loading and the screen will not be instantaneous.