someone with an Indian voice rang me today and said he was…

Customer Question
someone with an Indian voice...
someone with an Indian voice rang me today and said he was Peter from microsoft and that i had a fault with my computer which was slowing it down and could crash, he said i had a trojan and he needed to clean my laptop. I was very dubious but he was persuasive and i let him into my system. He quoted some numbers and asked me to check that they corresponded with his numbers. I got scared i was getting scammed and an American came on the line and got quite irate and impatient with me ( im an OAP and not very computer literate ) It transpired that i would have to pay between £44 and £200 depending on 6 12 or 24 months cover, but that subsequent cleanups would be between 20-30% cheaper. I declined and said i wanted to ask advice about this. I am worried that i have let them into my computer and could have endangered my security. I appreciate that my laptop is about 4 years old and may well need 'cleaning' but please will you tell me what i should do now. Have i been really STUPID ??
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/15/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mike6708, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Mike6708
Mike6708, Computer Support Specialist
Yes Microsoft will never contact you about anything thats a scam if ive ever heard one. My advice to you is to change all your passwords email and especially any banking or creditcare login info asap. And always keep in mind Microsoft will NEVER contact you. You have been scammed and need to immediately need to change all passwords befor its to late and even after doing that keep an eye on all your accounts. I would also reccomend going here and download malwarebytes antimalware http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol

After you have downloaded it and installed it Perform a Full System Scan and remove all infections found. Remove all from the quarantine section as well. Restart your computer and repeatedly tap F8 to enter safe mode and run it there. This will gert rid of any kind of spyware that was leftover after giving them access to your computer.

I am now suspicious of everyone , especially after reading your grammer and spelling!! I didn't go ahead and pay for the 'Cleaning' . I don't mean to appear rude or ungrateful but do I really need to change all my passwords etc ?? I've checked my bank account and it seems ok
Well thats my advice to you Ive got years of expierience in this field if you choose not to believe me its at your own risk. You gave someone access to your computer and they can take any information they want when you do that. Im here to help people like you and my certifications and background have been verified by an outside company The choice is yours to believe the random Microsoft call or the man whos got a verified background in computers

If you trust me please click accept so I can be paid for my time Thanks. heres a link to Microsoft's website where they explain that they don't call people unsolicited

http://www.microsoft.com/protect/fraud/phishing/msname.aspx

Edited by Mike6708 on 6/15/2010 at 6:50 PM EST