I have just returned to the UK after an absence and Virgin…

Customer Question
I have just returned to...
I have just returned to the UK after an absence and Virgin have changed the DNS settimgs ( which is something I do not understand ) but it means that I cannot connect via my Belkin router. Can u help me please?

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Computer Engineer
Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist
Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

1. Step 1

First, Begin by resetting your modem, the reset button can be found on the back of the modem, underneath the power button.

2. Step 2

Once the modem is reset, do this for your router, and when you are finished connect the cable from your Modem into the "internet" or "modem" port on the back of your router.

3. Step 3

Now run a cable from port number 1 on your router, to the back of your originial computer. Give this a moment to sync.

4. Step 4

Now open your web browser and type in 192.168.2.1 and hit enter, it should prompt you for a username and password, enter "admin" in the username, and leave the password XXXXX You will now see the router's status page.

5. Step 5

Now click on "initial setup" and select the dynamic ip address button and click select. Then on the next screen you should click "Clone Mac Address" and then click enter

6. Step 6

Your router should now show the same mac address as your originial PC and have the ability to share your internet wirelessly.

Or you can check the setup instructions from
http://setup.belkin.com/guide.html
on step 4 afetr typing in the nu to my web browser nothing happened
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist

Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

to actually change your dns settins the correct way.. please do the following on your Mac

# XXXXX the Apple menu, click System Preferences, then click Network.
# XXXXX the lock icon in the lower left-hand corner of the window is locked, click the icon to make changes, and when prompted to authenticate, enter your password.
# XXXXX the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:

* To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, select Built-In Ethernet, and click Advanced.
* To change the settings for a wireless connection, select Airport, and click Advanced.

# XXXXX the DNS tab.
# XXXXX + to replace any listed addresses with, or add, the Google IP addresses at the top of the list: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
# XXXXX Apply and OK.

Then you should follow
http://setup.belkin.com/guide.html
The first answer you recieved..

Has caused you to reset your router..

which means that any password XXXXX security you had on your network is now gone..

Second.. Not all belkin routers are the same..

the address 192.168.2.1 may not work for you..

This depends on the model number of the router..

Id like to actually help you..

the first answer i gave will work for you..

But now.. i have to help you set your password XXXXX as well due to the first expert..

to do so..

I will need to know the model number of the belkin..

Please look on the belkin.. there should be a tag.. and tell me the model number..

thanks.
Sorry to appear so dim BIT you have totally lost me amd I have absolutely no idea f what I am doing at the DNS tab and the very last thing i want to do is make such a mess that i cannot even get online by ethernet as i can now. Is there anyway of simplying it?

Basicailly I can see from the router that the connection light is flashing when it shoudl be solid

Midel F507230-4
im sorry.. the connection light is flashing because the first expert had you reset the router..

there is no nice way to say that.. and i can only apologize for the first response you recieved..

lets fix the dns first.. do exactly as i say and nothing bad will happen!!

From the Apple menu, click System Preferences, then click Network.

select Airport, and click Advanced.

Select the DNS tab.

now.. you remove all the dns addresses you have..

and then replace them with these 2

8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

click apply.. and click ok..

these are google dns servers.. they never go down and will always be usable.. and more reliable then virgin

once that is done and your dns is fixed..

ill help you re add security to your belkin router if you want..

Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Thanks Dustiin,. Im back inline .... after spending 10 hrson a plane, I really need to soend another 3 to get connected cos of Virgin .... bit thanks for your speedy resolution
Your very welcome.. glad i could help..

If you need anything in the future.. You know where to find us!
Thanks a lot