1 year old laptop will only start up with battery in.. it wont…

Customer Question
1 year old laptop will...
1 year old laptop will only start up with battery in.. it wont start w/o battery just plugged into power like it used to. Runs from battery then quits when battery is out so I have to recharge battery.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/15/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

This sounds like a bios problem.. You say the battery works..

and the battery charges..

Please relay the name brand and model of the computer..

Thanks.
Toshiba Turion X2 Satellite
Thanks..

could you give the complete model number of the X2

such as

X205-S7483

it should be on the tag on the bottom.
U405D-S2852
Thank you..

please go to the link below..

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2060002&rpn=PSU48U&modelFilter=U405D-S2852&selCategory=3&selFamily=1073768663

where it says all categories,, click it and change it to bios

download the one dated

04-08-2009

once downloaded.. you need to make sure the toshibas battery is close to being fully charged first..

then.. shut down all other programs.

and run the bios update file you just downloaded..

it should shut the computer off. and then back on all by itself..

Afterwards you should be ok..

Let me know what happens and if you need any assistance following these steps..
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
ok I downloaded it but now it tells me I have choices . and recommends I write it to a CD then start up from the CD. I cannot simply run the update file... it says it can be run from within windows for NT/2000/XP but I have vista. So I have to create the CD and it do from there? Is that right? Thnx
My apologies for the delay..

Your response came a while after I had signed off..

It should also containe a regular windows based update in the file...

i would prefer the windows based update over the diskette..

as its more straightforward and easier to use.

ok I tried to run it from within windows but it told me it cannot do it running on battery power, so I took the battery out and it shuts off because it can't run on just power at this point. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hmm..

that is an issue..

ok..

lets try this.. just as a test..

shut the computer down.. remove the battery.. remove the power cord..

now press and hold the power button for one minute..

Then..

plug in just the power cord..

do you see any of the led lights lit up?

if so.. press the power button and try to start.. will the computer start on cord power now?

No, the red light(s) didnt come on so there was no way to start it up. I put battery back in to start it and then it ran startup repair which didnt do anything to fix the problem.

What a pain... sorry to keep bothering you

Your not bothering me at all..

I just logged back in and seen your message..

I dont want to say this is a system board issue..

But you have changed the cord..

tried to run it without the battery in at all..

I suspected there might be an error on the system borard , hence why we were trying to update the bios..