Word 2007 mail merge question from a power user. Heres the…

Customer Question
Word 2007 mail merge question...
Word 2007 mail merge question from a power user. Here's the question.
Leter says:
Dear ,

Yada, yada, yada.
Student 1
Student 2
.....
Student n

Yada, yada, yad,
Sincerely
Me

Ok, Student 1 .... Student n are the students in Teacher X's class. A query in Access would repeat the teacher's name for every student in their class. How can I use SQL
to say Give me student i where student i exists in Teacher X's class.

The result would be a letter to each teacher in the school and for each teacher (Teacher X) in the school, a word table in the document listing each student in Teacher X's class.
Any suggestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/15/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Greg G, Director of Information Technology replied 8 years ago
Greg G
Greg G, Director of Information Technology
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to help you with this.

First, to understand exactly how the query needs to be written, I need a better understanding of the structure of the tables and fields.

In other words, is there a Teachers table which has each teacher, and a Students table that has each student and something like a "Teacher_ID" field that links back to the proper teach?

If so, then you need to do a "Join" in order to do what you're looking for.

In other words, let's assume this...

Teachers_Table
---------------------
int ID <-- this is the unique ID for each teacher
str Teacher_First_Name
str Teacher_Last_Name

Students_Table
--------------------
int ID
int Teacher_ID <-- linked to ID field above
str Student_First_Name
str Student_Last_Name

Your query in this case would be something like this:

Select Students.Student_First_Name, Teachers.Teacher_Last_Name From Students INNER JOIN Teachers ON Students.Teacher_ID = Teachers.ID

So that's pulling the students first name and the teachers last name from the two tables. That's the easy bit..

The query (before the join) is telling it to pull ALL the records for students... In other words, if using this for letters, a letter will be generated for EACH student.

The inner join is telling it to "link" the Teachers table to the students table via the ID. So let's say XXXXX XXXXX is our first teach and has an "ID" of 1. In the Students table, our 20th record is for "John Doe" who's record in the database has a "Teacher_ID" value of 1 (hence linking XXXXX XXXXX as John Doe's teacher).

When we do the inner join and tell it to match the "Teacher_ID" from the student record to the "ID" from the Teachers table, we can then pull the teacher info (name or any other fields associated with that record) that is linked to that student via the ID.

It's sort of difficult to explain, but I hope I did a good job.

If you're tables are structured differently and you're having difficulty translating or if you need clarification on anything, just let me know.

Best Regards,
Greg

Hi Greg,

Thank you for your answer but it is not a solution. I'm a MCT and MS Certified in Database and SQL, which is why I said I'm a power user. I don't need the basics of SQL, nor merge mail in word. The question was specific to SQL in Word and as I described it I needed to merge mail where the letter goes something like this.

Dear <Teacher field code> ,

yadadaayada etc.

your students are:

Student 1

Student 2

etc..

So the problem becomes what code do I put in for Student 1 and 2 etc. where the logic is Student i is a member of the set of students assigned to Teacher X.

So, unfortunately I can't accept your answer.