In iTunes, I now have lots of duplicates. My playlists also…

Customer Question
In iTunes, I now have...
In iTunes, I now have lots of duplicates. My playlists also contain many songs with the ! designation. Before I start, I want to print a backup of my playlists. I would be willing to purchase special software to aid me in these tasks as long as it is guaranteed to work. I have about 5,000 songs and many of them are duplicates and triplicates.

1. How can I efficiently print out lists of my playlists? I have about 50 of them and don't want to print them one at a time.
2. Is it possible to merge duplicate songs, maintaining the existing linkages to playlists?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/14/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Mike D - Computer/Electronics, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Mike D - Computer/Electronics
Mike D - Computer/Electronics, Information Systems Manager

Hello! You can do this from within iTunes itself.

To do this, follow these steps:

1. On your menu to the left, select Music, Movies, or whichever one you are wanting to make a list out of.
  2. Once selected, click the File menu at the top left of the screen, choose Library, then choose Export Playlist
  3. Choose where you want your playlist.
  4. Type in a file name in the File name field
  5. Use the drop down box and choose from Text File, XML file, and two different kinds of M3U files. For this, it sounds like you may be wanting to use a text file.
  6. Click Save

Preview your backup before you decide its complete. With a text file, ive had lots of problems with formatting. Using an XML file and opening it in your web browser might be the best way to go if your printing it.

Let me know if this solves your problem!

Yes, I know this. But as I said, I have about 50 playlists. Is it possible to print all these playlists at once, or must I go through individually?

Yes this can be done! But there is one problem you will run into doing this. This will create a list of your entire library, including your playlists. When doing exports like this in iTunes, its either 1 category or absolutely everything.

1. Click File
  2. Choose Library
  3. Select Export Library

Using this method, it only allows you to export as an XML file. I'm not sure if this will work for you or not, let me know. If not i'll provide you with some other solutions.