Have Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business. Outlook express…

Customer Question
Have Microsoft Office 2000 Small...
Have Microsoft Office 2000 Small Business. Outlook express has a problem. Will not open e-mail and can not send e-mail and the address book has disappered. Get messge outlook express is incorrectly configured, please re-intall. I tried to fix fix the disks that were sent with the PCC and the repair did not work. How can I fix the problem and get the address book bck?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/14/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

I notice that you have installed Microsoft Office 2000, but refer to Outlook Express.

Can you check that you shouldn't be using Microsoft Outlook rather then outlook express?

Please let me know

Iam using outlook as it is the only method of sending out an e-mail. Outlook express only shows e-mail in the inbox, but can not open them. I tryted to fix the problem with repair, but outlook express is not listed on the repair menu, only the entire small business, and it wants to go to the orginal install. I do not want to lose all my wife's bussiness emails, and the address book is not there any more. It gives an error "THE ADDRESS BOOK FAILED TO LOAD. OUTLOOK EXPRESS IS INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED, PLEASE REINSTALL." How can this be done without loosing all the folder messages and the get bak the address book?

do the following then please.

Restart the computer and keep pressing F8 until a menu appears.

Choose "last known good configuration"

This will restore the computer and will not remove any emails or personal data.

Once the process has completed, please test and let me know if you are still experiencing the problem

Ok. what is the best way to get back intouch with you? I am using the PC that I will hve to reboot.

press CTRL+D and this webpage is in your favorites

Or just return to www.justanswer.com

OK Will start to reboot. thanks Bruce B.

Richard, that did not work. Still cn not open email in outlook express and the addres book is not available still. Bruce B.

ok, then please do the following

Delete the Temporary Internet Files (this is linked to outlook express)

1.

In Internet Explorer, click Internet Options on the Tools menu.

2.

In the Temporary Internet files panel, click Delete files.

3.

In the pop-up alert window, select the Remove all offline files check box, and then click OK.

Then do the following please

Click Start, and then click Run.

2.

In the Open box, type msimn /reg, and then click OK.
(Note that you will not see anything happen.)

Then the below step

1.

Click Start, and then click Run.

2.

In the Open box, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.

3.

Repeat step 1 for each of the following commands:
regsvr32 mshtml.dll
regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 browseui.dll
regsvr32 msjava.dll

Restart the computer and try to open outlook express. Let me know the results please

Richard, I will do this and let you know in a few minutes. Thanks

Bruce B

richard,

The urlmon failed-"Specified module could not be found".

the others say the "dll registry could not be found"

Bruce B.

ok then the problem is that key files from Outlook Express are missing.

we will need to perform a reinstall of outlook express. Please follow the below instructions carefully.

First do a search on your computer for .dbx files. When found copy them to a new folder on your desktop

Download ie6setup.exe from the below link. Do not run it yet but save it to your desktop

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en

Once done then

• Select Run... from the Start menu.
  • Type "regedit".
  • Click OK.
  • Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Active Setup \Installed Components­\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}.
    • The key named (Default) will read Microsoft Outlook Express 6
  • Double-click IsInstalled.
  • Type '0'.
  • Click OK.
    • To re-install Internet Explorer as well, set the IsInstalled key for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Active Setup \Installed Components­\{89820200-ECBD-11cf-8B85-00AA005B4383} (Internet Explorer 6) to "0" in the same manner.
  • Close the registry editor.
  • Open the ie6setup.exe file you previously downloaded and follow the installation instructions.

Once completed, please restart your computer and try to open outlook express.

Please let me know if you are still having difficulties.

Richard,

ie6setup.ex did not run as it had found a new version of IE. What should I do not? Continue with the process?

Bruce B.

yes please, it should do the reinstall part for Outlook Express (part of the same installation).

Please let me know if you continue to have difficulties

Richard,

There was not any installation done at all from IE6. I shutdown the PC and then restarted it and tried to open outlook express with no success. Should I do anything with the .dbx files that are saved on the desktop?

Bruce B.

Leave the DBX there for now please as this is a backup of your emails

Can you do the following in outlook express please

Select View | Layout... from the menu.

Make sure Show preview pane is not checked.

Click OK.

Restart outlook and try to open your emails please

Let me know how it goes

OK, Bruce

Hi Bruce,

In addition can you please do the following. First close outlook express

1. Click Start, point to Find, and then click Files or Folders.
  2. In the Named box, type: *.wab
  3. Set the Look In box to include your local drives and click Find Now.

NOTE: If you find more than one .wab file, make the following changes for all files.
  4. Click the .wab file that you find. On the File menu, click Properties.
  5. In the Properties dialog box, under Attributes, clear the Read-only check box.
  6. Click Apply, and then click OK.

Please let me know the results

Richard,

There are no .wab files found.

Bruce B.

ok, they are your address books, so this explains why it is missing. To be sure check the recycle bin please.

Were you able to open your emails when disabling the preview pane?

Richard,

There are not any *.wab files found!!!!

No matter what we try or do, Outlook Express still says Outlook Express is Configuration incorrectly and when the New message is applied, Its says Outlook Express needs to be re-installed!

Should it be removed and re-installed from the CD-ROM that came with the PC or maybe do an upgrade? Would that fix the problem?

Bruce B.

Hi Bruce,

To remove Outlook Express is difficult, but we do need to do this. To do so you will need to follow the below procedure please. If you have difficulties let me know

To manually remove Outlook Express 5.x or 6.0, you must rename several files. To help in this process, all system files and file extensions must be visible:

1. Double-click the My Computer icon.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
  3. In the Hide Files and Folders section, click Show hidden files and folders, and then click to clear the Hide file extensions for known file types check box.
  4. Click to clear the Hide Protected Operating System Files (Recommended) check box, and then click Yes in the warning message dialog box.
  5. Click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
  1. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Windows Explorer.
  2. Locate and rename the following folders:
    • The Stationery folder:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Stationery

• The Identities folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Identities

-or-

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities

• The Address Book folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

-or-

C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Address Book

3. After you locate these folders, click them one at a time, and then press F2. Rename them to old_stationery, old_identities, and old_address respectively, and then press ENTER.

You must now delete the registry key for Outlook Express:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

1. Click Start, and then click Run, and then type regedit in the Open box.
  2. Locate the following registry keys, right-click the registry key, and then click Delete:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WAB
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Identities
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\WAB
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \Software\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{7790769C-0471-11D2-AF11-00C04FA35D02}

3. Quit Registry Editor.

To complete the removal procedure, rename several Outlook Express files:

1. Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files and Folders.
  2. Find and rename the following files (these files are the same in Outlook Express 6.0):

3.  

Inetcomm.dll
    Msoeacct.dll
    Msoert2.dll
    Msoe.dll
    Msoeres.dll
    Msimn.exe
    Oeimport.dll
    Oemiglib.dll
    Oemig50.exe
    Setup50.exe
    Wab.exe
    Wabfind.dll
    Wabimp.dll
    Wabmig.exe
    Csapi3t1.dll
    Directdb.dll
    Wab32.dll
    Wab32res.dll

Each of these files are located in two folders, the default file folder, and the C:\Winnt\System32\Dllcache folder. For example, the Inetcomm.dll file is located in the C:\Winnt\System32 folder, by default, and in the C:\Winnt\System32\Dllcache folder. You must rename the same file in both folders to successfully remove Outlook Express. To rename these files:

1. Remove any CD-ROMs that may be in your CD-ROM drive.
  2. Click the Inetcomm.dll file in the Dllcache folder, press F2, rename the file to filename.old (for example, inetcomm.old), and then press ENTER.
  3. Click the same file in the other folder, press F2, rename the file tofilename.old, and then press ENTER.
  4. When you receive the prompt about Windows file protection, do not insert the Windows CD Instead, click Cancel.
  5. At the prompt about keeping unrecognized file versions, click Yes.
  6. Repeat this process with each file in the list.

Reboot the computer then and we will now reinstall Outlook.

Go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx

Whilst this installs Internet Explorer, it also installs outlook express

The download button is to the very right. Click it, and follow the instructions.

Please let me know if you encounter any difficulties.

Richard,

I am starting this process now. Unfortunately I lost time when your site was unavailable for a short time. This may take some time., How long will you be working? Will you stay till it is resolved, or turn it over to a colleague later on?

Thanks for all your help so far!

Bruce B.

Richard,

I am unable to rename the three folders. After pressing F2, and I try to close out of the folders, I get and error stating the file can not be renamed.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

Sorry I was off Duty.

Can you cut the folder (right click, cut) and past it into a different location? eg: Desktop

Hi Bruce,

Please reply in this question