I cannot access any website engines and my laptop is slow.

Customer Question
I have a gateway laptop...
I cannot access any website engines and my laptop is slow. I have a gateway laptop with windows 7 and norton security. I can only access ask search engine. I also downloaded firefox and same response, cannot display web page.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/14/2010
Tech Support Specialist: joytinu, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
joytinu
joytinu, Computer Support Specialist
Hi

Thanks for your question.

please start your computer in SAFE MODE WITH NETWORKING

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

and run a virus scan.

go to START and to RUN
type msconfig
and hit ENTER
go to STARTUP Tab and disable all services

and restart.

3.
you can try firefox browser

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

insert windows cd and restart and select REPAIR

last option is to make a backup and reinstall windows 7.
I tried the config before with my internet provider and they dont know what they problem is. I may have to backup and re install windows but I dont have the windows 7 cd. What do i need to do and get?
hi

you should receive one with your computer.
if you didnt then call manufacturer and they will provide one.
please accpt if helpful
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

I have a more intimate knowledge of how to fix the issues you are facing..

And please.. Dont accept anything till some progress has been made in fixing your issue..

Then.. If it is my support that helps you.. make sure to accept on the answers i give, and if someone elses answers actually help you.. Feel free to click accept on theirs instead..

Heres what id like you to do first..

Please go to the link below and download the free version of malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

You will have to click through a few windows, make sure to only download malwarebytes, the file name that will download is called mbamsetup.exe

Once downloaded, install and run the file.. When you run it, have it do a quickscan..

Let me know if it finds any infected objects.. then have it remove what it finds..

If that doesnt remove the ask toolbar.. then try this..

click start, control panel, add or remove programs..

find the ask toolbar in the list.. click it twice and it will start to uninstall it..

Then.. if you still want to reinstall windows..

You probably wont even need a cd.. Just tell me the name brand and model of your computer..

And i can help you reinstall if this is neccessary..

I dont mind the Ask tool bar at all. Right now it is the only search engine that I can search on the internet. I want to access my Google and Yahoo and other search engines. I have a gateway laptop and it has windows 7 on it and norton security. I downloaded firefox and, just back up files if want to save and set back to manufacturing settings. I need halp doing that but I want that to be a last no option resort.
ok.. i understand that you want to fix the computer if at all possible..

Lets start by removing the ask toolbar.. Its the reason you cant go to google or yahoo

the ask toolbar is spyware / adware.. its bad.. and causes many problems..

Dont worry.. I wont bail on you..

So lets get started..

Heres what id like you to do first..

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

I will try that and let you know.
Thanks.. If this doesnt work.. there are still more steps we can take..

Just let me know what happens.. And we wil continue as neccesary until the issue is resolved..