I use Q&A 4 and would like to be able to get it to print to…

Customer Question
I use Q&A 4 and...
I use Q&A 4 and would like to be able to get it to print to a printer hooked to a USB port. Is there a way to do that?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/14/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Sibu, Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Sibu
Sibu, Support Specialist

Thanks for using JustAnswer

May I know the printer model number ?

Regards

Sibu
currently using a brother mfc 9420, but plan to change as the brother is getting old and want to be able to use any printer.
So you want a new printer or try to print with current one ??

Please expl;ain the problem little more

current one now, new one later.

The Q&A program only recoginizes a parallel port. The program needs to be told that the USB port exists, as USB is a much newer technology than the program.

Have you installed the printer softwrae already ?

Can you print from word documents ?

the printer works great with all programs except Q&A. the problem is in the Q&A program as it doesn't know that USB exists and will only export data to a parallel port.

THE PROGRAM HAS TO BE CHANGED IN SOME WAY SO THAT IT UNDERSTANDS THAT USB EXISTS!!!!

Ok try the steps below

1) Install the Microsoft Loopback Adapter

a) In Control Panel, double click on Add Hardware.

b) Click Next

c) When the scan finishes, select "Yes, I have already connected the hardware"

d) Click Next

e) Scroll to the bottom of the list and select "Add a new hardware device"
Click Next

f) Select "Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)"

g) Click Next

h) Select "Network Adapters"

i) Click Next

j) Select "Microsoft" under the Manufacturer list.

k) Select "Microsoft Loopback Adapter" in the Network Adapter list.

l) Click Next

m) Click Next

n) Click Finish

2) Configure the Adapter

a) The loopback adapter is a virtual network adapter and can be configured the same as a regular network card.

b) Set the adapter to have a static IP address such as 192.168.1.1/ 255.255.255.0

3) Share the printer.

a) I recommend you use a share name that you will remember. I used “Printer” in the new machines that are already deployed.

4) Capture the printer port.

a) NET USE LPT1: \\[Computer Name]\Printer /PERSISTENT:YES

and let me know