I have Windows 7 Professional and my monitor and/or computer…

Customer Question
I have Windows 7 Professional...
I have Windows 7 Professional and my monitor and/or computer will shut down randomly and without notice. I changed my wireless mouse to a wired one and it is still doing it. The cursor freezes and it all shuts down.

Also--in the windows media, it will not allow me to download the updates on the TV listing part.

Thank you for reading this and taking your time to answer me--I appreciate any and all help you can give me. I am not computer savvy, so be easy with me please, Always, Tami [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/14/2010
Tech Support Specialist: lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer

Hi and Welcome to

I would like to help you solve your problem.But beore that i have few questions for you.

1>When did this prolem start?

2>What antivirus program do you use?

3>What is the computer model?

Please answer them so that i can know the problem better.

It has been doing it for about a month

I use Norton for anti-virus

my CPU is HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f PC

Ok.There are a lot of things to try to improve and stabilize your system.

First run a system integrity scanner.

Go to start,all programs,accessories,

Right click on command prompt and select run as administrator.

Type sfc /scannow and press enter.(There is asapce between sfc and /scannow)

Also run a check disc

http://www.w7forums.com/use-chkdsk-check-disk-t448.htmll

See if it helps.Let me know the results.

lifesaver, Computer Software Engineer
I followed your instructions and my computer didn't shut down during this process. The scan replied that no problems were found on the device or disk. It is ready to use. So I can't tell you if this fixed the problem or not yet--but I suppose I will email again if this process did not work. Again, thanks for the help--I truly am grateful. Always, Tami
Sure if the system still shows any problem send me a message.I will reply asap.
it stated no problems were detected in the device or disk, It is ready to use. My computer ran its own chkscan which takes forever and said the same thing. I am still having the same problem. It even cut me off when I tried replying earlier.

OK.Please restart system and keep pressing F8 key immediately(even before widnwos loads).

Choose safe mode from the screen that appears.let me know if your system shuts down randomly in safe mode too.

Got a msg about some software for NetNanny we installed recently so we're gonna try uninstalling it ans see what happens. Just fyi, my husband is a computer engineer and I can't get him to help me with our own computer--haha
OK--I have uninstalled NetNanny and computer is still shutting down. Ive gone blogs and others seem to have this problem too but they say its with USB drivers. I have taken everything off USB-got a different keyboard and mouse--printer not plugged in. Still shutting itself off.

Can you please ru the system in safe mode and see if it still shuts down?

ALso how old is the system?Have you tried a factory restore after backing up your data?

I have run itin safe mode several times and it does not seem to turn itself off. I have had the computer for about 2 1/2 years-we bought it new. It is HP Pavilion Media Center m8300f PCAMD Athlon 64 x 2 dual-core processor 6000+ 3072MB 640GB NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE graphics. It had Windows Vista originally,but weupgraded to Windows 7 Pro when it cameout.

Please click start.In search programs and files type msconfig and press enter.

Go to startup tab.Disable all startup items.

Restart and check results.If problem goes away enable the startup items one by one until you find the culprit program.

ALso please note that two major things that can cause this are antivirus program and grpahics or video driver.