I have Windows 7 & and use Windows Live Mail. A few days ago…

Customer Question
I have Windows 7 &...
I have Windows 7 & and use Windows Live Mail. A few days ago one of my storage files would not open and is still that case. I need to find a way to access that information.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: joytinu, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
joytinu
joytinu, Computer Support Specialist
hi

what is the exact error message that you get?
I get no error message. When I highlight the file to open, it just does not open.
hi

please start your computer in safe mode and see if you can acccess the information.

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

you can try restore. if restore doesnt work then you can undo it.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

Let me know if any question.

Sorry, I forgot we also tried the restore option with a HP tech.
that did not work either.
I did the repair as requested but I do not know if it works until after I reboot the machine.

How do I reengage may communication with Just Answer and you after I do that ? Do I just go back to JustAnswer.com and enter my order # ?

please bookmark this page so you can get back to me.
I will bookmark this page and get back to you in a few minutes after I reboot.
I rebooted the computer and nothing changed. I still can not open the storage file.
hi

you can try system restore to different dates.
and last option is to open file with notepad in ASCII mode.
see if you can get any info out of that.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Tech Support Specialist: Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Computer Engineer
Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist
Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

To troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would like to propose the following suggestions.

1. Boot in Safe Mode with Networking to see the issue occurs.

2. Try either of the methods in the following Microsoft KB.

Windows Live Mail fail

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969148

If neither of above works, please continue the step.

3. Uninstall Windows Live Mail and reinstall the latest one.

Note: you may need to export account information then import it after Windows Live Mail is installed.

To remove Windows Live Mail

============================

1) Click Start , type programs and features in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

2) In the list of programs, click Windows Live Mail, and then click Uninstall.

3) If you are prompted to confirm that you want to remove the program, click Yes.

If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.

Note: Windows Live Mail is a free download program, you can download it from the following website.

http://download.live.com/wlmail

Then, double click to install it.

4. I'd like to suggest that you contact Windows Live Center for support too.

https://support.live.com/default.aspx?mkt=en-us&wa=wsignin1.0&scrx=1

Hope this helps. Thanks.
OK............I will contact after we go through these steps.
let me know about it.
Prior to doing your steps, we deleted the file folder and we tried to open it again in the delete file. For some reason it opened up.

Obviously this file folder is corrupt, so we moved of all files within that folder to a new folder and deleted the corrupt one.

Thanks anyway

Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

The first expert who tried to answer your question is permanently away..

I am versed in the issue you were facing.. And want to recommend a very important step..

Folders can become corupted this way when a infected email comes in..

And sometimes worns and trojans can get through even the best antivirus..

I have a free program id like you to run to make sure that there isnt something in your computer that will cause the error to happen again..

Please go to the link below and download the free version of malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

You will have to click through a few windows, make sure to only download malwarebytes, the file name that will download is called mbamsetup.exe

Once downloaded, install and run the file.. When you run it, have it do a quickscan..

Let me know if it finds any infected objects.. then have it remove what it finds..