Yesterday, I downloaded Thunderbird 3 and lost all of my inbox…

Customer Question
Yesterday, I downloaded Thunderbird 3...
Yesterday, I downloaded Thunderbird 3 and lost all of my inbox subfolders and all other folders in Thunderbird 2. I also lost the Outlook express email a tech person I hired brought from my old computer my new Acer computer running Windows 7.

How can I get all of my lost email back?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Bryan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Bryan, Computer Support Specialist
Hi, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Please go to Start and type in the following in the Search box:
%appdata%\Thunderbird\Profiles\

Press ENTER; in the folder window that comes up, how many subfolders are present?

Regards
The first time I past the address above in the box, it displayed 1 folder. I copied that folder's information to paste in this box, it would not paste. I went back to start again, pasted the address above again, pressed enter, and this time I got a blopped sound and go this message: Windows cannot find c:\Users\ \AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\: Make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again.
It looks like you included a colon at the end; please delete that, and try the command again.

Regards
The one folder is there. Thank you. It is 6s3ypb8t default 6/13/2010 2:21 pm file folder.
I see; could you specify what's the folder size?

Regards
There is no entry under Size
Please right-click on the folder and select Properties. In the window that comes up, what's the size specified as?

Regards
It has 175 MB, 108 files and 11 foldrs. Created 11/6/2009. That is the date the tech person transferred outlook express mail into Thunderbird.
Okay ..it looks like your emails are intact; now, please copy that folder onto any other location, i.e. desktop, My Documents, etc. Done that, carry out the following steps in order to restore the profile, including your address books and emails, in Thunderbird:

1) Close Thunderbird, if running.

2) Now, go to Start and paste in exactly the following in the Search box:

thunderbird.exe -profilemanager (make sure to include the single space in between)

3) Now, the Profile Manager should start up; click on "Create Profile..." and, in the dialog box that opens, enter a descriptive name for the profile you want to retrieve.

4) 4) Click on the "Choose Folder..." button. A "Browse for Folder" dialog will open.
Look for and select the profile folder you had copied earlier and click OK.

5) Review the path shown in the "Completing the Create Profile Wizard" dialog to make sure it is correct, then click "Finish" to create the new profile.

6) Select the new profile and press the Start button to start Thunderbird using the copied profile.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards
No Dialog Box opened when I clicked on thunerbird.exe -profilemanage.
What was the command you typed in?

Regards
I copied and pasted the thunderbird.exe -profilemanager. A small dialog box pops up but when I tried to type my name in it, it disappeared. The only way to get it back is to repaste. I did that 3 times, but could not type in the dialog box.
Could you catch the name of the dialog box that came up?

Regards
Thunderbird - Choose User Prof...
Okay ..could you click on the 'Create profile' button itself?

Regards
When I left click nothing happens. When I right-click it disappears. If it is okay with you I am ready to give up.
I see; will it be okay if I type out a comprehensive set of steps regarding uninstalling/reinstalling Thunderbird, and importing the profile folder, which you may carry out at your convenience and let me know?

Regards
I don't have the time to deal with installing/unstalling importing, etc. I do not have any more time right now either. I am sorry, but thank you.
No problem.