I have word documents on my external hard drive that will not…

Customer Question
I have word documents on...
I have word documents on my external hard drive that will not open. A box asks me to chose an encoding but none of them work. I also have music files that have been replaced with others and some photographs will not open.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: johnn mack, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
johnn mack
johnn mack, Computer Support Specialist
hello there! I would love to help. Have you tried copying the files to your computer then opening them?

Yes, they don't open

ok then try this program call pc inspector file recovery this will attempt to recover your bad files.http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,23069-page,1-c,utilities/description.html
I've downloaded it but there are no instructions. I am nervous about the warning that if I rescan it will clear al 'lost drives'. Is it safe to proceed? Norton is having difficulty in backing up to the external drive, could this be related to the problem I am having?
Judging by what you just told me your hard drive could be failing. I would do a backup of anything you have on there asap.
There is a problem with backing up for some reason. This machine is only 2 years old?
did you get an error? If you can give me the message here we can find out whats going on.
graphic
yeah it cannot detect your drive or it wasnt selected. Can you still see it in my computer?

Yeah I can and even read files off it. I am aware you have done a lot of work her e!

I can attach other snips of error messages.graphic

Ahh ok i see whats the issue now your drive has be come so fragmented it cannot even read itself. To run disk fragment right click on the drive icon in my computer and select properties then go to defrag disk. This might take hours or minutes. But just let it finish.

Hasn't helped, here is the picture reading error. I DO have the latest version by the way. graphicow