I cant seem to set up my laptop to allow me to use it wirelessly…

Customer Question
I can't seem to set...
I can't seem to set up my laptop to allow me to use it wirelessly at my home - i am trying to set it up to use my verizon wireless connection through the verizon modem i have
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Erik B., Computer Support replied 8 years ago
Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

What type of Verizon modem do you have? Can I have the model number please (should be on a sticker somewhere on the unit)? Also what operating system is on your computer (WinXP, Vista, 7)?

M1424WR
Actionetc does that help?
how can i determine the OS?

Yes that helps greatly. To determine what OS you are using, right click My Computer or Computer (these icons will either be on the desktop or in the Start Menu) and choose Properties. The window that appears will tell you with OS you are using. Thanks!

microsoft windows xp - it is registered to Babson College because I downloaded it from my school - i think they must be the administrator and that may be causing issues- but I'll let you determine that for sure

OK please do the following and tell me what happens:

1. In the system tray in the lower right hand corner of your screen, you should see an icon that looks like a single monitor with a red X. This is the wireless networking icon.
  2. Right click this icon and a small menu will appear.
  3. Click on View Available Wireless Networks.
  4. A list of available networks should appear (let me know if you see something else). See if there is a network that matches the SSID listed on the ActionTec router (sticker on the bottom).
  5. Click on the network name that matches the ActionTec sticker and click Connect.
  6. You should be prompted for a password. The password XXXXX XXXXX WEP key on the same sticker on the ActionTec. Enter this key and click OK.

That should get you connected to your network, but let me know if not. Please be as specific as possible with any error messages or screens you see that don't match what I have above. Thanks!

i did that and everything was exactly as you said. aftrer i typed in the weP KEY, there was a box that said "please wait while Windows connects to the GRPO1 network." After a while, it just stopped and went back to the "Choose a wireless network" screen that came up after I right click the View all wireless networks.
OK usually when this happens it is because the WEP key wasn't entered correctly. Make sure you are doing it case sensitive (usually all caps) and make sure that you aren't putting I instead of 1 or 8 instead of B etc. Try it one more time and let me know.
same deal
OK do you have any other devices attached to your wireless network right now?
no - i mean there is a wire from teh modem to the laptop i am using to talk to you

OK great please do the following then:

1. Open another Internet browsing window and go to http://192.168.1.1.
  2. Enter admin for the username and password for the password (if that doesn't work try password1 for the password).
  3. Click on Wireless Settings along the top.
  4. Click on Advanced Security Settings on the left.
  5. Under Level 1, change the security type to WPA.
  6. You will be taken to a screen where you need to enter a Pre-Shared Key. This will be the new password XXXXX join your wireless network. It must be at least 8 characters long.
  7. After entering the key, click the Apply button.
  8. Your ActionTec will reset. When it comes back up after a few seconds, try to join the network again using the new key.

Keep me posted!

do this on the computer I am using right now i assume since I can't get on-line with the other computer

i changed the password XXXXX did everything you said. now what

how do I tryo joining the network again as you said

Good job.

Do the following to try and join the network again using your other computer:

6. You should be prompted for a password. This time enter the password XXXXX you just changed on the ActionTec.

Let me know if you still don't get connected!

it said that the network password XXXXX to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 asci charachters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal charachters

OK if you are sure you chose WPA as the security type when you logged into the ActionTec previously, then your computer is still seeing the old network key requirements. Please do the following on the wireless computer:

• 1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  • 2. Type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
  • 3. Right click your Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties.
  • 4. Click the Wireless Networks tab.
  • 5. Near the bottom of the window, highlight your home network in the list and click the Remove or Delete button.
  • 6. Click OK to save your changes and reboot.
  • 7. When you computer comes back up, try to join your network again.
trying now. are you still arounf
Yes sorry I am still here if you need assistance.
i do. that last thing did not work

So it is still asking for a 40 or 104 bit key?

Can you do the following to check and make sure that WEP is actually turned off on the ActionTec?

1. Open a browser and go to http://192.168.1.1.
  2. Login using admin for the username and password for the password.
  3. Click on Wireless Settings near the top.
  4. In the security enabled section, does it say WEP or WPA is enabled?
login failed
Which password XXXXX you use last time? try password1
password XXXXX password1 did not work.
I'm sorry I was actually just logging out for the evening. I will opt out here so that another Expert can assist you. I will say that you should be using whichever password XXXXX used to complete my instructions to change over to WPA security. Sorry I wasn't more help and good luck!
i still need help
I still need help can anyone help me