I just installed a new hard drive on my dell inspiron 6000…

Customer Question
I just installed a new...
I just installed a new hard drive on my dell inspiron 6000 laptop and it keeps saying disk read error occured.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Freddy M., Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Freddy M.
Freddy M., Support Specialist
Unfortunately that means either your windows installation is corrupt and needs to be reinstalled or the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. If you do not have a windows Vista disc you will need a technician to do this as you will not be able to without the disc. If you do have a disc however follow these steps.

First insert the windows Vista disc into the drive
Then when the machine says press any key to boot from CD press enter
Wait for the windows setup to load completely
Then run a repair installation of windows

If the windows disc cannot find the hard drive or the repair does not completely unfortunately it means that the hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please click "Accept” so I am paid for my time. I am only paid if you click “Accept”.

If my answer did not work please let me know instead of giving negative feedback.

A Bonus and Positive Feed Back are appreciated.

Please note that not all issues can be fixed online.

The steps you were given may have confirmed the only solution is repair.

If that was the case please click "Accept”.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Well in my question i stated that i just replaced my hard drive and they recommended that it might be going out and i already installed windows befor uninstalled it and reinstalled it
i just installed a new hard drive and then i installed windows and right after the installation was complete the error message came up and said "disk read error occured"
Disk read error means there is a problem reading the hard disc drive or the hard drive. You may have gotten a defictive drive or the cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced. Depending on the motherboard this connection is either a cable or part of the motherboard itself. If it is part of the motherboard itself the entire motherboard would need to be replaced. This can also happen if the windows installation was not done correctly which is why I mentioned a repair installation. If you use a windows xp disc that is not original or a recovery disc for another machine it can also cause this problem as recovery discs are meant for only the machines they come with.

the windows vista was purchased at bestbuy and has only been in this computer befor me changing the harddrive the computer wouldnt even find the old one and it kept saying it couldnt find the operating system

Ok not being able to find the operating system is a sign of a failed hard drive. But since you replaced it the cable connecting the hard drive to the motherboard has failed and needs to be replaced. Depending on the motherboard this connection is either a cable or part of the motherboard itself. If it is part of the motherboard itself the entire motherboard would need to be replaced.