I recently purchased a 1/5 TB ext hard drive and plugged it…

Customer Question
I recently purchased a 1/5...
I recently purchased a 1/5 TB ext hard drive and plugged it into my Win 7 computer, it was recognised as K drive and I made a back up of my internal hard drive in about 30 mintues using a free softload download. Then maybe 3 days later, I ger a bubble worning that a device can not be recognised. I shut everything down and used another usb port for the seagate but the thing will not be recognised. Any suggestions other than bringing into the IT guys for a look?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
What is the model # XXXXX your seagate?

Also, are you using a laptop, or desktop? Model #?

As a simple test, please do the following. Unplug the Seagate from your computer and from the wall.

Shut down your computer. Unplug it from the wall for 1 minutes.

If its a laptop, you will need to remove the battery as well as unplug it from the wall for 1 minute.

Boot back up, load into windows. Plug the USB drive back in. Post results.
I tried the unplug and wait solution and the drive was visable but after a few hours while the computer slept, the drive dissapeared again, just as before. The computer is a HP desktop, new one as of Christmas 2009 and the model of the external drive is 9SE2A6-571 (1.5 TB)
So when the computer goes into standby, the hard drive disappears?

Sound correct?
I think I got it. You're not alone in this one. I just checked on my system as well. I never use hibernate or standby, but I think this might fix you up. I'm not going to leave this as an answer until I know you're good to go though.

Alright, go to start control panel. Click power options (if you don't see power options, switch to classic view in the upper left).

One of the power options is checked, that's the one we want to work with. Go to change plan settings. Then go to change advanced settings.

Expand usb settings. Expand usb selective suspend settings. Click on both of them (they're probably enabled). Switch them both to disabled. Click ok. Then click save settings.

Let me know if the problem is resolved. You will need to get the hard drive functional again, a reboot will probably work. Before testing this. If it takes a day to test fully, no problem. Just come back here and let me know if it worked or didn't work.