laptop running really really slowly can you suggest wht we…

Customer Question
laptop running really really slowly...
laptop running really really slowly can you suggest wht we can do to speed it up? Have defragmented, deleted unused files with no change.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: namstech, Electrical Engineer replied 8 years ago
namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer

Welcome to JustAnswer!

Has the slowdown started recently and the system was running fine earlier?

How much RAM your system has?

What is the model of your system?

Do you have antivirus programs running?

Have you run system clean up?
been going on for a while, yes security on sytem its a dell laptop windows xp dont know about ram, yes to system clean

If you have an antivirus installed, please update and run a virus scan.

Also please download and install the free version of malwarebytes from here and run a scan.

Check the system RAM by right clicking on the My Computer icon and clicking Properties. In the dialog that opens, locate the RAM size and if it is 1GB or more, than probably it is not the problem.

I hope it solves the problem. If still have problems, please contact me.

Best wishes
Tech Support Specialist: Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Computer Engineer
Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist
Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

1. Step 1

First step to fix Windows XP slow startup is to find out what programs are loading when you startup Windows XP. To do this click start, run, then type in msconfig and hit enter. Look at the Boot.ini tab. In the box labeled Timeout change the time from the default 30 to 3. This changes how long it waits to before booting.

2. Step 2

While you are there click on the tab labeled startup. This shows you what programs Windows XP startup is loading. Unclick any of the boxes that you do not need to have running all the time. This can greatly fix Windows XP slow startup by not having to wait for so many programs to load every time.

3. Step 3

Go to download.com and download a free registry cleaner. Find a popular one with good reviews. Regclean is pretty popular one that I have found to be effective. (Always backup your registry before you do anything to change it.) This is a registry cleaner that will remove old code from the registry that is no longer needed. These are usually left overs from programs that have been uninstalled.

4. Step 4

Add more RAM. This is one of the most basic reason why any system is slow, because of lack of memory. Add more RAM and you will increase the speed on everything.

5. Step 5

There are my tips to fix Windows XP slow startup. There are other things you can do, most require a lot of work and knowledge and could cause you a lot of problems if done incorrectly.