my dell computer when we log into the user goes straight to…

Customer Question
my dell computer when we...
my dell computer when we log into the user goes straight to windows security center. the back ground is black, and if we minimize the screen it goes into ablivian and all we have is a black screen and we can't do anything else. any thoughts
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Adam Lowrance, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Adam Lowrance
Adam Lowrance, Computer Support Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
Adam Lowrance :

Hello there, how long have you been experiencing this problem?

Thanks,
Adam

Customer: About 20 min.
Customer: my wife turned off the computer earlier in the day, about 5 hours ago and when we tried to turn it back on it goes to our windows security center
Adam Lowrance :

Ok, the screen you are seeing is more than likely a fake security center. These type of fake messages are real common these days. They are called scareware. How familiar are you with Windows?

Customer: what are my choices? I use it but i'm not that great with anything out of the usual
Customer: defense center installer just popped up on the screen
Adam Lowrance :

turn the computer off now

Customer: done
Adam Lowrance :

ok, maybe keep the virus from getting in deeper

Adam Lowrance :

turn the computer back on and start pressing F8. keep pressing it till you see a menu come up. Once of the choices should be "Safe Mode". Select that one and press enter

Customer: is that after I log on as a user
Adam Lowrance :

no before. right after you see the first dell screen. maybe 2 seconds after you press the power button

Customer: i'm pressing f8 before that and it goes to the blue screen where you type in your password
Customer: i'll try again
Adam Lowrance :

ok

Customer: do I hold it down or press repeatedley
Adam Lowrance :

press repeatedly

Customer: ok it comes up with a "advanced boot options" message
Adam Lowrance :

select the one that says safe mode if it is there

Customer: ok
Customer: it came up to the screen where we sign in as a user
Adam Lowrance :

ok select your normal user

Customer: ok our screen came up but there is a ton of porn as icons on our desktop. The windows help and support popped up.
Adam Lowrance :

ok, in the start menu select All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore. When it opens select next. Select a date from yesterday or earlier this week. Select next.

Customer: After we selected system restore, it pulls up the windows security center which is the same screen we saw before when we first got started.
Customer: An icon just popped up that says "danger! A security threat detected on your computer...etc"
Adam Lowrance :

Oh, that is not good. The virus is buried deep enough in the system it is running in safe mode. Did it take the system restore off of the screen?

Adam Lowrance :

Yeah typical fake av

Customer: The system restore never came up. When we clicked system restore, that old screen immediately came up.
Customer: so do we just need to take it into someone, and how much would that typically cost
Adam Lowrance :

Ok. this is not good. The computer is going to need some serious cleanup. There are two options, both will require a pc repair shop. The first one is to try to have the computer cleaned by having it removed and inserted in another computer with some virus/spyware cleanup installed.

Customer: and is there someone you can recommend
Adam Lowrance :

lol, thinking the same thing here

Adam Lowrance :

I actually recommend local repair shops

Customer: alright, we'll give it a go, thanks for your help.
Adam Lowrance :

I do not like the big box stores. I usually have to clean up the mess for my customers after they take it to a best buy type place

Customer: do you know how long it usually takes for them to clean it up. all of my wifes school notes are on there and we need it by thurs.
Adam Lowrance :

At mine we usually can do it in a couple days. Usually depends on how busy the shop is. Worst case they should be able to get the notes off of the computer.

Customer: thanks for your help, have a good night.i
Customer: sweethanks
Adam Lowrance :

If I have answered your question satisfactorily please click accept so I can receive credit for my work.

Adam Lowrance :

Thanks,
Adam