When i turn my computer on there is a square that comes up…

Customer Question
When i turn my computer...
When i turn my computer on there is a square that comes up before the homepage and it says microsoft visual c runtime library this application has requested the runtime to terminate in a unusual way please contact applications support team for more information what does that mean and how do i fix it Please Help!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer
Hi there,

Does that box comes when you start internet explorer or just when you start the computer ?

Abhi

Hi it is when i start the computer before i put my password XXXXX

After you click ok, can you login ?

Also, if that is not possible, restart and keep tapping F8, you will get a menu, from that try lasst known good configuration and safe mode with networking ? If it works in safe mode , let me know.

no i can not log in it just goes blank but i will try the f8 thing

The menu will not come up

Try it once again, it should come up.

The method to get into safe mode depends on which version of Windows you have.

This webpage has details for every version of Windows:

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

For Windows XP or Windows Vista:

1) If the computer is running, shut down Windows, then turn off the power, wait 30 seconds, then turn the computer on.

2) Repeatedly tap the F8 key about twice a second (about twice as fast as a heartbeat). The Windows Advanced Options Menu will appear. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. If this happens, restart the computer and try again, but wait a bit before tapping.

3) Select Safe mode option using the arrow keys, then Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.

4) When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer normally.
am i just meant to keep tapping until it comes up

yes

what do i do when i get into the safe mode do i just restart the computer

Let us try a system restore which will take your computer to a position before this happened.

Once you are in safe mode , do the following :Start > All Programs>Accessories > System Tools > System Restore.

Then you can follow the instructions given here(For Windows XP) and given here ( for Vista)about how to do that. See the part of restoring to an earlier point, we want our system to be back to the stage before this problem occurred. System restore will not delete any files , it will just change the settings.
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer
do i just folloe the intructions of the system restore an it will not delete files

yes, it will not delete files
hi i just did all of that and restarted the computer and the same thing happend

should i just do it again?

Did you restore it to a point prior to when the problem started occuring.

Go to safe mode again, in safe mode :

try clean boot as I suggested earlier :

1.Click "start" go to run and type( msconfig)

2.Click StartUp tab and click on disable all. Click ok (Also let me know what all do you have listed there, make a note of them which had checked in front of their name)

3.Click ok and re-start computer to Selective Startup environment

4. when the System Configuration Utility window appears, please check the Don't show this message or the launch or Launch the System ConfiguratioUtility when windows starts click ok

Restart

i tried all of the above and none of them worked

Do you mean even the clean boot gives error ? Please do the following now :

2.Click Services tab and click on disable all. Click ok (Also let me know what all do you have listed there, make a note of them which had checked in front of their name)

Edited by abhi_iitian on 6/14/2010 at 4:11 AM EST

the computer is now working but itunes and skype no longer work?

it is saying the windows installer service could no be accessed this can occur if the windows installer is not installed contact you support team

i have now got i tunes to work but now no audio files can play

See let me give you the concept of startup items in brief. The items which are checked there are the programs which will automatically start when the computer starts. Now say for e.g msmsgs, this is MSN messenger, now since it is checked it starts automatically at computer start, Even if one unchecks it, one can start it from Programs list but it will not start automatically.

So, What we ideally want is to have very few items checked there because more there are slower the computer startup as more and more programs need to start.

Disable all means nothing will start (all items are unchecked). We are basically trying to see if any of the startup programs is interfering with it . So , now you need to check some of them and see if the error still occurs, in this way you can reach the service which is causing this. Check half of the services, see if it occurs, repeat the process to pinpoint the error.

Makes sense ?
ok so i need to just unmark the programs that i dont need and press apply? the internet is no longer working either

yes, that's what you need to do , till you identify the culprit