my pc shuts down when i try to run macafee

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/13/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Can you please provide more details about what is happening?
all i can say is that every time i try to run macafee, it will scan for awhile and then the computer just shuts off
How long after you start the scan? Does the time change, or does it always take the same time?

When did this issue start?
i don't time it and it has pretty much been happening since i installed macafee - i am not on that computer right now because i worry it would shut down - now, the computer just shuts down, period - whether macafee is on or not - i want to run macafee because i know i have viruses but the computer won't stay on to run the anti-virus.
Okay. There might be a virus that is causning this.
Please try to remove it this way:

Please download Malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org (get the free version).
Close programs, and run the file (setup).
If the virus won't let you download, simply download on another computer and transfer on a USB or CD.

Download rkill from: http://www.technibble.com/rkill-repair-tool-of-the-week/
Once you have it on the infected computer, run it. It will kill the virus process (but not remove it).

Run the Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware setup from the desktop.

Go with the default settings during the install. Important: Make sure you tell the software to automatically update itself (there’s a box you need to check during the install to make that happen). In addition, make sure you tell MBAM to automatically launch itself once the install and update processes are complete.

When Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware loads, go to the Scanner screen, select “Perform Quick Scan” and then click the “Scan” button.

Once Malwarebytes is done, the virus will be gone.

Thanks,

James.
i tried the malware and my computer shut down after it was running about 2 min.
when it shuts down, does it do it in an orderly fashion (shows you messages about shutting down, closing applications), or just turns off suddenly?
no, just blacks out and only shows the power save close
i am trying to run a quick scan now but i know it needs a full scan this, so far, is not working - i did run the rkill

Okay - I don't think this is a virus issue. I think you have a problem with one of your memory sticks. Try to pull out one at a time, and see if the problem goes away. It is either a bad memory stick or a defective motherboard.

J.
computer shut down again on the quick scan - was showing 6 infected items - isn't there a way to stop mbam scan and get rid of the 6 showing when i try it again?
what are memory sticks?
Memory sticks are the RAM, little boards with chips on them inside your computer that can be removed and inserted into slots.
if you are uncomfortable doing this yourself, you may want to get help from a friend or a tech at a local repair shop. I'm quite certain your issue is not software or settings related, but rather a physical problem with your computer.

J.
can i quarantine or get rid of the 6 infections that are showing up before the computer shuts down - it says i can ause, which i did - but is there a way to get rid of the 6 infections found so far without completing the scan - or continuing the scan after getting rid of these 6 midway into the scan?
You need to finish the scan - you have no way of knowing if there are not more problems other than those 6.
J.
if the computer stays on to do that, great.
I hope so, but it won't solve your issue I'm afraid, since the problem is physical and not software.

J.