computer running slow

Customer Question
computer running slow
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/12/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

You still have some adware on your computer

please download the free trial of ad aware from the link below..

http://www.lavasoft.com/

run adaware.. It should be able to find the adware on your system..

Once removed.. restart the computer..

Then

do the following..

click start, click run, type in inetcpl.cpl

then on the options screen that comes up, click advanced, then click reset under reset settings, then click reset again..

then when it finishes.. close and reopen internet explorer..

if your still having issues.. let me know!
I did everything you said to do and it still runs slowly, especially Outlook and after I use it a while. (like a few minutes). I also tried to navigate the internet. I can go to sites like google and type in a search, but when I click on one of the options, it goes to a completely different page and a strange looking cursive "2" symbol appears in the address line near the http. If it helps, about 3-4 weeks ago, I got infected with scareware, but I thought it was all cleared up.
aha..

please run the full scan of malwarebytes below.. even if you have already..

Please go to the link below and download the free version of malwarebytes.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

You will have to click through a few windows, make sure to only download malwarebytes, the file name that will download is called mbamsetup.exe

Once downloaded, install and run the file.. When you run it, have it do a fullscan
Let me know if it finds any infected objects.. then have it remove what it finds..

Scan showed no results, no infections found. I clicked back on my browser and it opened two screens (one for a free laptop)

6/13/2010 9:43:40 PM
mbam-log-href="http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3m8py-computer-running-slow (21-43-40).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 233647
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 46 minute(s), 2 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Tech Support Specialist: Brett Philp, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Brett Philp
Brett Philp, Computer Support Specialist
Let's try using CCleaner. It has a good track record of clearing up problems like yours. Download it from here http://www.ccleaner.com/ then use the registry cleaner built into it to clean up your registry.
removed 405 issues with my registry, typed in "panda" in google search and got sent to a travel site, then to tazinga, and another page opened telling me how much I can earn working from home. If it helps, the scareware I got took over everything from my AVG antivirus to windows firewall and more. I cleaned it by running malwarebytes twice in safe mode.
can anyone help?
Use this (http://www.eset.com/online-scanner) online scanner to check for viruses please. And lastly I'd like you to download, install and run Spybot S&D from here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html and run a scan.

Edited by Brett Philp on 6/15/2010 at 1:57 AM EST