I created a family tree 16 years ago; I dont recall what progam…

Customer Question
I created a family tree...
I created a family tree 16 years ago; I don't recall what progam I used. The file is a word document under the file name Snead. How can I open it in a format that I can read?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dustin, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Welcome to JustAnswer.com

My name isXXXXX am one of the experts who will assist you today!

could you right click the file.. then click properties..

then tell me what it says on the general page for type of file/?

Thanks.
I clicked on the "Snead" file and eventually found the word properties. Properties would not respond to a right click. In the same area were the words "send to." I clicked on send to and the words fax recipient and Microsoft power point were displayed. I clicked on power point and in a few seconds the words "outline too long to read" were displayed. It may well be that I used power point to create this file, I simply don't remember. I do remeber that it became a very large file with data concerning about 1000 family members.
Ok.. when you right click on the file..

I need you to then.. left click on properties..

This will open a new small page..

it should list file type here..

relay that to me.. i can tell you exactly what program you need to open it..

thanks!

In the small window appears the following list:

File type "microsoft word document"

Location: C: user/Robert/Documents/Reunion

Size 458 KB

MS Dos name: Snead.doc

Ok.. i assume you have tried opening it with microsoft word?

i would like you to right click the file.. and tell it to open with notepad..

a lot of times document files can open in notepad.. even though they lose a lot of formatting..

Let me know what happens..
I need instructions on how to open Snead in note pad.
Ok.. first.. right click the file.. click copy..

then..

go to your desktop background.. find and open space.. and right click .. and click paste..

then.. now that we have a copy of the file..

right click the file..

click open with..

then it shows a list of programs.. choose notepad..