Hi, Im working on a M320. The owner was having trouble with…

Customer Question
Hi, Im working on...
Hi, Im working on a M320. The owner was having trouble with the computer and used a dell disk to reinstall the windows XP OS. Needless to say it coused trouble. I renistall Xp and updated it to vista and now have no sound. Ive updated the drivers and the hardware shows no conflects. Help.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/12/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited replied 8 years ago
Justin
Justin, Network Administrator/Not Limited
You've gone into the the sound control properties in control panel and checked to make sure nothing was muted correct?

Was this problem present before the update/reinstall?

Is there a speaker in the bottom right programs list (next to the clock). There's also a an arrow that points up (looks like a triangle) that will show more if there are a lot of tasks in the bar. Check that first.
Yes she did say there was a problem with the sound. The sound card shows it working everything looks good but no sound.
You do have to consider the possibility that the sound card may be defective.

However, have you tried going into the bios to check to make sure its not disabled there?

Also, have you tried the function keys on the keyboard to see if its shut off there. There's a Function mute (tho I don't have the model in front of me obviously so you'll have to take a look). Think it has a sound wheel, so you press it in to mute and unmute.

I'll continue looking around to see if there's something else to it, but if you have the right drivers loaded and nothing's muted...

Oh, and when you reinstalled, did you reinstall from scratch or just do like a reinstall/repair. By from scratch I mean a complete wipe of the system (or restore) before the upgrade?

Edited by jnayes on 6/12/2010 at 8:35 PM EST

No mute on key board. I did a clean reinstall. I use both the hardware profile to check for conflicts and updated the drivers from there. Everything points to the card is working thats why Im at a lost. Also when i up in a disk to run the sound I got a code from windows saying the adac code was missing? and could buy them from MS. I went to the bios and didn't see a sound function

.
Ya wasn't really holding my breath about the BIOS thing, most laptop's bios are very limiting.

Just because it installs correctly does not, at all, mean the device is functioning. It just means the driver was able to install correctly. Same goes for video cards, etc.

But let's just assume it works for now. How have you tested the sound so far. Dont' try to play dvd's or cd's at this point, we need to start with something simple. Like the windows built in wav files. Hold windows key, hit f. Or click start, go to search.

Change the location to C: Search for files *.wav

Double click any of those files, make sure volume is up all the way. See if you get ANY sound
still nothing.
I'll opt out then, but it sounds to me that if you reinstalled the OS from scratch, installed the drivers, have checked the mute and sound settings and have them enabled, that you may have a defective sound card.

I won't be able to fix this, perhaps another expert has an idea.
Thanks.
Tech Support Specialist: Nick, Consultant replied 8 years ago
Nick
Nick, Consultant
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX
This might sound like a basic question but have you tried different external speakers. as it cold be as simple as the speakers may have "given up"
Darn I was hoping it would be that easy but no go.
Shoot !!! ( cat win them all :( ) that is unless you are using passive speaker and you need active speakers ( which most Dells need ) Have you got a pair?? if not can you try using the headphone socket on the front ??