Hello! I have a Toshiba laptop, Satellite A130/A135 series.

Customer Question
Hello! I have a Toshiba...
Hello!

I have a Toshiba laptop, Satellite A130/A135 series. I am trying to connect via my Sprint MiFi 2200 wireless connection card. I am getting an error message that the network settings do not match the router or access point settings.

The card works fine because the pc is recoginizing the network and I am able to use it just fine on another computer.

Can you help me? Thanks!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/12/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Jeff C, IT Manager replied 8 years ago
Jeff C
Jeff C, IT Manager
Thanks for contacting JustAnswer.com

I will try to assist you. Can you please provide the exact text of the message you are receiving and any error codes that go with it. Just want to confirm the error message.

Hi Jeff,

When I try to connect, windows tells me that it cannot connect. When I use the Diagnose Problem I get the error message,

Make sure the wireless device is located near the computer and make sure that the network settings match the router settings or access point settings.

First lets check your settings:

• On your computer, go to Control Panel and click Network Connections.
  • Right-click Wireless Network connection and select Properties.
  • On the Properties screen, scroll to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), highlight TCP/IP and select Properties.
  • When the TCP/IP properties windows appears, check the settings for IP and DNS server.

If the IP and DNS server settings show "Use the following..." you will need to change the selections so that the IP and DNS server settings are automatically assigned.

Follow these steps on the TCP/IP properties screen to change the settings:

• Change the top selection from "Use the following IP address" to "Obtain an IP address automatically."
  • Change the lower selection from "Use the following DNS server addresses" to "Obtain DNS server address automatically."
  • Select OK at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
  • Select OK on the Wireless Network Connection properties screen.
Let me know if you needed to make any of these changes. If you did reboot your machine after making the changes, and let me know if you still receive the same error or different error.

Ok. Let me try that. I am booting it up now. I am on a different computer but I use the same connection device for both pc's.

Sounds good..
Jeff, I don't see network connections- wireless network. i am using the classic view for the control panel. I see Network and Sharing Center- manage wireless networks
One min.
ok
Try Network and Sharing Center
Manage network connections
In there you should see wireless connection:

Then right click on wireless connection then look at your ip settings.

Let me know if this works.

I don't see wireless connection. I see manage wireless networks. in there i see adapter properties and profile types

What options do you have on adapter properties?

Networking:

Connect using: Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 394abg network connection

There is a Configure button which opens to 6 tabs: general, advanced, driver, details, power management

Ok cancel that and try this

Start > Connect To – Show Wireless – available wireless networks are
displayed.
• Select the SSID with “MiFi” in the title

Yes, I have been there & when I't is disconnected from my pc, the laptop recognizes the MiFi. It just won't connect to it. The laptop picks up other wi-fi's in the area (secured). I get the message that the access point settings need to match.

Anyway, I have to get some sleep now. pls email me with any instructions at [email protected], or email me how I can reconnect with you. Thanks for your help.

When you are ready to work on this again, just come back here and post you are available to work on it again. Either I or another expert will continue.

If I find anything else tonight I will post it here. Have a good evening.