Ive got a Toshiba Satellite that is 3 and a half years old.

Customer Question
I've got a Toshiba Satellite...
I've got a Toshiba Satellite that is 3 and a half years old. In the last couple of months if I left it on with a screen saver for a couple of hours without using it I would get maybe 6 columns of horizontal lines each about an 8th of an inch high. It was frozen like that and I would have to just hold the power button to turn it off. In the last two days it has been doing that when I'm using it. Please help. It feels like maybe I'm at death's door! Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst replied 8 years ago
Ansh P.
Ansh P., Computer Systems Analyst

Are these colored lines?

They appear to be a break up or rearrangement of the screen saver. I took the screen saver off to see if it was causing the problem, but now it is happening at random - or so it seems to me.
I guess the RAM is bad. Can you remove all of them and put one at a time to check if its working fine with one or the other?
Remove what, how? I have not a clue as to what you are talking about. You'll need to speak simple nontechnical English, please. Thanks.
I strongly suggest to get this done by a experienced personnel because it can damage the hardware if not done properly. You have to open the case in the bottom of the laptop and remove the cover which covers the memory chips or the RAM. After that, you have to remove them all and put one RAM at a time and start the computer to see if the same problem occurs. If it happens for one of the memory chip, the memory is faulty and needs a replacement. Note here that if all the RAM are producing the same result, other probabilities of fault may be motherboard, display card or the display itself.
I've never added any RAM to this computer, so there wouldn't be more than one chip, would there?
Ya it could be, some laptops come with 2 chips in default.
If it were that would it be manifesting itself in any other ways?
Sorry, could not got your point?
You have suggested that it may be the RAM, the motherboard, display card or the display itself. To try to narrow down the possibilities, would any of these things be creating anything other than these funny lines if they were faulty? Other symptoms I might be able to identify?

Other symptoms may include freezing of computer, multitasking failure, slow etc.

Two other things needs to be checked is driver software fault and the cooling exhaust fan. Best way to check will be, connect an external monitor to the laptop and see if the same happening. If yes, you can discard the probability of display being bad.

Let me know two more things,

1. Is this happen anytime just after starting the computer or only after the computer has been used for sometime?

2. Is this started after any updates/installation etc?

Something that has only happened once, that I should have remembered to tell you sooner is that the lines we accompanied by flashing and a clicking noise.

It does not happen right after it's turned on. As I said in the beginning, it has been happening only after it's been on, but not used for an hour or so. Now it is happening when it's being used. I have been trying to see if it is related to having certain programs open at the time and can't descern that it is.

I have tried to think if it began after any change in the computer, but don't know.

This may be a heating problem also, so you need to check the exhaust fan also. This add to the list of probabilities.

Can you check in device manager, if there is any device with error?

I have done a search for "device manager" and have browsed through the Control Panel trying to find, but can't.
Click start > run > type devmgmt.msc > Hit enter.