I need assistance hooking up my linksys wireless, please…

Customer Question
I need assistance hooking up...
I need assistance hooking up my linksys wireless, please
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Erik B., Computer Support replied 8 years ago
Erik B.
Erik B., Computer Support

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Before we begin, can you please do the following for me?

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig /all and hit the Enter key.
  4. Right click anywhere on the data and choose Select All.
  5. Hit the Enter key to copy all of the data.
  6. Paste the data into your reply to me. If you are having trouble pasting, please just let me know what is listed for the IP address and the Default Gateway.

where do i find the ip address?

Should be listed in the long line of stuff that shows up:

graphic

when i hit the windows button and R - it runs through the code quickly and disappears
Oops sorry. After you hit the Windows button and R, type cmd and click OK. This will bring the black box up to stay. Then type ipconfig and hit Enter. Then let me know what the IP address and gateway are. Thanks!
2001:0:4137:9e74:2c31:1572:9cdd:a4c4
That's the IPv6. How about the IPv4 address? Sorry!

there's no IPv4 address

You are doing this from the computer you are currently on right? Try scrolling up a little bit in the window, it might be getting cut off near the top.
yes. this is the issue i've been having - the IPv4 address doesn't show up. when i try to scroll there's nothing more to show

OK let's try it this way:

1. Hold down the Windows key and press R.
  2. Type ncpa.cpl and click OK.
  3. Right click your network connection and choose Status.
  4. Click the Details button and hopefully you will see the IPv4 Address.

255.255.255.0

graphic

Right above the subnet mask.

192.168.1.64

Perfect. OK here is what you need to do. Most ATT equipment conflicts with Linksys equipment out of the box, and yours falls into this category. You need to make a few changes to the Linksys to get it to work:

1. Unplug your computer from the DSL modem and plug it into one of the LAN ports on your wireless router. Do NOT plug your router into your modem yet.
  2. Reboot your computer so it gets a new IP address from the wireless router.
  3. Open Internet Explorer and go to http://192.168.1.1/
  4. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password.
  5. When the router configuration page opens, scroll down about halfway and change the Local IP Address to 192.168.2.1 (it should say 192.168.1.1 now).
  6. Click Apply or Save Settings.
  7. Reboot your computer again and connect your router's Internet or WAN port to your DSL modem.
  8. When you computer comes back, you should have Internet access. If you don't please let me know. If you do, please continue to setup a secure wireless network if you need wireless.
  9. Open Internet Explorer and go to http://192.168.2.1/.
  10. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password.
  11. Click on the Wireless tab. Here you can change the name of your wireless network by changing the text in the SSID box. Once complete, click Apply or Save Settings.
  12. Now click on the Wireless Security tab. Choose WPAPersonal from the Security Mode drop down box and then enter a password XXXXX at least eight characters (this will be your network password) into the Pre-Shared Key box. Click Apply or Save Settings.

At this point you should be able to connect your computers to your new wireless network using the password XXXXX created. Please let me know if you have any questions!