Why have I lost most of my old emails Usually I can have…

Customer Question
Why have I lost most...
Why have I lost most of my 'old emails'? Usually I can have 32, can I have more?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/10/2010
Tech Support Specialist: James, Sr. Computer Support Expert replied 8 years ago
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Hi, can you explain the question please?
opened my computer to look at my emails - then went into 'old emails' to re read and send some replies - suddenly I had only got 12 (usually 32). I have not cleared them, I want to retain some without having to save them. Actually I want to be able to have more than 32 anyway.
Which email software are you using?

AOL I was told I had to go through aol. I am not a real computer expert!

Ok. I don't think your emails are lost, but rather they went to the next screen. You should have a page indicator that allows you to go to the next page, either at the top or bottom of the screen when looking at your mail.
Each page can show up to 32 emails, but you can save (almost) as many as you want.

J.

I had not realised you could get up more pages of emails. Yet the page shows only 12 and then the rest of the page is blank - I will try, but would rather not loose you and have to go through this process again paying another £11 - am I rather mean?

Please take your time and try it.
I will continue to help you if you have more questions even after accepting, and you will only be charged once anyway.

Thanks,

J.
I don't know how to find another page of 'old emails'. There appears nothing to get there at top or bottom of page.
Is this in the Inbox?
sorry to sound so thick - I have only recently got my Acer laptop and I go into 'old email' to bring up the emails I have read once and want to read again - it isn't an inbox
So "old email" is a folder in your AOL mail?

Down the left hand side of the page is Aol today, New email,sent email, etc. down to recent delated and the on to folders etc.

What I can't understand is that the old email have just disappeared without me giving any instructions.

My screen looks a little different, so I'm not sure what you are seeing.
Try to click Inbox - is your mail in there?
On my screen there is the list of 'old emails' in the middle of the screen to the left is new email, old email etc etc - on right is contacts etc. On that screen I do not have an inbox.
I think it would be better if I opt out and let an expert that knows more about AOL try to help you. You will be notified when someone else picks up this question.

J.

Thank you for your help - not got very far sadly but maybe someone else as you say, might know aol better.

I am afraid I want to go to bed as I am up early tomorrow but will log on in then.

Great, good luck!

Haven't got a message from anoher expert - will log on later!

Newman

ok, good luck!

I still have not had a reply from another expert - the problem has not been solved!!

R Newman

Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there, and welcome to JustAnswer

What happens when you search within your email box for a missing email? Does it find it?

I am afraid I really do not know where to find them - it is like they have gone into thin air!

If I have saved any that is ok but this is just all 'old emails' that have just vanished, and I have only ever been able to keep 32 anyway.

R Newman

ok, but within AOL, can you do a search for one of the emails please?

Just search for any part of the email address from one of the missing emails and tell me if it returns results please.

Sorry not too bright on the computer front - where or how do I search for 'any part of the email address'

No problem at all, I'm here to help

Do the following please

Sign into your email account on AOL

The search box is located directly above all of your mail folders. Click in the search box and type any part of a message or text that relates to a specific message that you would like to find. Click the drop-down menu arrow next to the search to see the different search options.

Select the search option that you would like to use. A description of each option is provided below.

graphic

• "Mail": This search option will check all of your mail messages for keywords or text related to your search.
  • "Subject": Use this search option if you are searching for a specific e-mail subject.
  • "Sender": Allows you to search by the sender's e-mail address or screen name.
  • "Calendar": Used to search for a specific event that you have logged on your calendar.
When you have typed in your search and selected the search option, press "Enter" to run the search.
The search results will display in the middle pane.

graphic

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you still have difficulties.

I need to know what my set up is with AOL.

How many emails are allowed to remain in my old email and for how long.?

Have I got some set up that needs to be adjusted.?

It worries me that you are an independent company and not directly linked with AOL So therefore you would not know how I stand. Maybe I should phone AOL direct.

Hi there,

To see your limits for you AOL email account you can do so via the below link

AOL Information

If you wish you can contact AOL , on their live chat service. You can do so via the previous link (top right of page)

If you require any additional information, please do not hesitate to contact me

I will have to put my query 'on hold' until I am back from my golf break

ok no problem
I am afraid you have not really helped as you do not have my AOL details to find out how my account is set up - ie. why I lost the old emails!

Sorry Sir I do not understand your last post

Did you perform the search as I previously asked?

Thank you