black screen of death

Customer Question
black screen of death
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/10/2010
Tech Support Specialist: tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
tbwhite2040
tbwhite2040, Computer Support Specialist

The only thing that could cause this is the wrong video driver for the operating system or a corrupt video driver.

Do you get the boot up screen or does it immediately restart?

no boot up screen, no cursor, no image of any kind. Repeatative restarts after 20 seconds of silence (after initial burps). HP has pages of things to do. Microsoft, too. If I hold f10 the cycling stops, but still no HD or CD access nor anything on screen. Resetting CMOS doable?

Have you tried using the Recovery cd that came with your computer? If you can't access the CD Drive, try this.

Remove the battery and the power adapter from the back of the computer, Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds and release. Reinstall the battery and the power adapter and turn on the laptop. See if it does anything different.

been there, do that with ALL the above hardware changes
So you can't get your computer to stay on long enough for the recovery disc to be accessed?
I have a windows 7 Home premium install disk. Is a recovery disk different? Shouldn't this work if I totally remove the hard drive (how else could I install a large internal drive)?
The windows 7 disc will work if you can get it to boot up from the disc.
Won't start up. Read specific details and perfect descriptions of my symptooms about a CMOS and/or BIOS corrupton via a floppy (that I don,t have) at: http://web.telia.com/~u43311424/crisis-recovery-disk/

Tried HPs instructions (with an overnight wait) with same sad result. : http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01997899&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3548244&lang=en
Did you flash the BIOS or try to flash the BIOS?
Did not flash BIOs before problem. Would like to try now, but instructions call for a floppy drive (just when I was throwiing away thousands of floppy backup disks in my basement).
Is there a jumper on my computer or do I have to unplug the battery and wait 24ish hours? Second question: should I be able to boot with out a HD and only install disk?

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery to clear the BIOS to see if a setting in the BIOS is causing the problem?

There is usually a jumper on the motherboard that if removed should allow you to get into the BIOS backdoor where you should be able to rest the BIOS.

As far as removing the hard drive, I do not think it will make a difference one way or another because if it is the BIOS corrupted, it probably doesn't recognize the hard drive anyway.

Yes I have unplugged the CMOS battery and held the power button for 30 seconds many, many times, with and with out hard drive, tested each of the two DIMMS, with and without the install CD in the drive. I'm doing everything via AC pwer (the 6 cell battery pack is off to the side).

Can you tell me if there is a jumper on this specific computer? I don't see one via the RAM, hard drive access panels that I have removed. Is there a way to "short" the battery (I've seen ths method on CMOS reset youtube videos). Waiting hours or days takes too long.

If there is a jumper setting it would be close to the CMOS battery.

Read this I pulled off a forum.

After performing the hard reset and replacing the battery pack and /or power supply, press and hold F10. It may have to be held for a minute or more, or it may have to be done several times.

Eventually, the set-up program should start. After setting date and time, move to the diagnostics menu. Perform the hard drive diagnostics. There are two parts. "Quick" and "Comprehensive". It will pass the quick test and probably fail the comprehensive. However, it should see the OS, now, when you power up.

Basically, if this works, it means the BIOS is corrupt and needs to be flashed. Also, I think the chipset drivers will need to be re-installed. The BIOS and drivers can be down loaded from the support and drivers site. If you can't connect to the internet, you can download on another computer and transfer with a flash drive.

The reality of it is, it may possibly require a new motherboard. I hope this is helpful

computer still not working--need help!

Press the F11 key repeatedly until you get to a screen telling you to initialize the system. this will wipe out all your Microsoft Word documents that are added to your desktop but it will let the system initalize.

Make sure to turn on System Restore after the system initializes to create a restore point in case you have to restore it later at another date.

Edited by tbwhite2040 on 6/13/2010 at 7:32 PM EST