I can only start my computer in safe mode with networking as…

Customer Question
I can only start my...
I can only start my computer in safe mode with networking as it hangs in the black xp screen at start up
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/10/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Tom K, Information Systems Manager replied 8 years ago
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
What is the make and model of this computer?
Its a HP laptop older one 1.6gh 500mb I don't know the exact model I think its a notebook where abouts in the system can I find this info

The model should be a sticker or branded right onto the physical laptop itself. You can check under the laptop too for a sticker with information on what model HP it is.

Its a HP compaq nx 7010
Whats going on with my query, do you have a solution to the problem yet, please get back to me asap

Sorry I have been away from my computer, but I attempting to troubleshoot your problem as we speak.

At this point it seems like the operating system install has developed an error and is not allowing you to continue to boot into Windows. This is common for the OS install to eventually corrupt on older computers.

I would like to perform a factory restore on your laptop but first things first, is there important information on the laptop? And do you have any restore CDs? (We might be able to restore by pressing F11 to get the factory installed restore utility on the hard drive in case you do not have the restore CDs)

No I don't have any CD's is there another way

Shut the computer off and then upon turning it back on continually press F11 until the restore utility opens, this should possibly bring you into the restore utility if it was in fact installed on the hard drive from the factory.

This will erase all your data if you restore to factory, so be sure there is nothing important on the computer.

Let me know if you can get into the restore utility and we'll go from there.

I have heaps of data on the PC that I can't afford to lose will this really get rid of all of it and I also have service pac 2 on the xp professional will all of that go too sounds a bit risky fella any other solutions that I can try in safe mode
No reply what is happening is there any other suggestions?

Sorry for the delay, I am on and off the site throughout the day so there are times when I am not immediately available.

Ok, so thats the answer I was looking for, you have important data on the PC, so restoring to factory default is out of the question.

When you boot into safe mode with networking, have you made any attempts to restore the OS to an earlier date? If not I'll provide instruction on how to attempt this.

I have not tried to restore os from the safe mode please give me the instructions on how to do this, cheers
Thanks for that I worked out how to restore the PC's os from an earlier date and it has worked fine, thankyou very much you have been most helpful.

Ok excellent I am glad that we got it working!

Sorry I could not give you system restore directions as soon as possible, I was away from my computer for a bit.

Anyways, to recap: by restoring to an earlier date you were able to get back into the computer OK.

Please click on Accept Answer on this page so this topic can be closed.

Thanks!

If you are available to do so, can you please click on Accept Answer so this question topic can be closed?

Thanks!