Hello, ive have had an internet website for 10 years.

Customer Question
Hello, i've have had an...

i've have had an internet website for 10 years. Unfortunatly, because of the actual economic turmoil, my company went bankrupt. I used to work with a company that was taking care of my website, now i have to do it all alone. There were also hosting the website. Now my website went down because of the hosting. I still have to let at least a webpage explaining the reasons of the end of the website and some info for my ex clients to be aware of the situation. Now i need to do those things by myself because i can't work with that company anymore.

I just need to know how can i find a new hosting, redirect the dns (how to do it?!),
and at least being able to publish one page to inform people.

I have access to the doname name setting.

Thanx for your help.

Michael

Ps: I'm very very short on money but still willing to pay to get some help as it is very important for me not to disappear from my clients from one day to another..
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/10/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Richard, Computer Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Computer Specialist

Hi there Michael, and welcome to JustAnswer

You can do this for free through Google Sites if you like.

You wont be required to know extension information, and you can point your existing domain to it. Plus it provides you with a large number of templates to start from.

To get started you need a GMail account (you can make one for free) and it can all be done via the below link.

Let me know who your hosting company is and I will provide instructions on redirecting to your google site

Google Sites

Google Site Example (Website made with Google Sites completely free)

Tech Support Specialist: Molinari, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Molinari
Molinari, Computer Support Specialist
If you want to actually keep the domain name, and have the redirect be automatic, you can transfer it to http://www.godaddy.com for under 10 dollars a year (it includes email).
They also have a number of website builders for free to aid in any web page construction you may need in the future.
Thank you very much for your fast answser.

I like your answer and willing to pay you for the advice you gave me but still i really need to get the thing to work.

My problem is with the DNS.

When i go onto the registrar website and access the management page,
i can change the DNS and put new one.

i have to indicate:

Serveur primaire (means primary serveur):
a.dns.gandi.net (the actual dns)

DNS2 : b.dns.gandi.net

Now they tell me that the website (google site) should provide me with the right DNS. when i read the user guide of google site, they don't give me dns but informations that i don't really understand where i have to put them:

http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47283

there is a verification process and code also....

The only i can change on my registrar provider is the DNS....

Thank for your help.

Michael

Ps : the registrar is www.gandi.net

Since you want to go that free route, I'll opt out and let Richard google some more answers for you. Good luck, I'm afraid you'll need it...

Edited by Molinari on 6/10/2010 at 6:59 PM EST

Hi there,

Follow the above instructions and let me know if you continue to have difficulties please

Relist: The answer i got is what is written in the tutorial
i sent in my question.
Sorry.
The answer i got is what is written in the tutorial
i sent in my question.
Sorry
Hey Richard!

Glad to be able to writte to you again.
I was not help at all by the answer above of molinari and in fact i wanted a follow up from you but in fact the question was went to him....
So in fact the question i sent him just before he sends the last answser was for you...
and i'm still there...

Thank you!

Hryeyichael,

Has it worked for you? Do you still have additional problems?

Let me know please

No...... M'y registrar talk only about dns....

I could not do anything, just create a Google site...
Whats the address?
The adress of thé Google site?

yes, you get an address like http://sites.google.com/site/yourname

When you view it

Sure!

Its:

http://sites.google.com/site/carteverteusa/

Thanks,

Can you now do the following please

log into your domain's control panel, and look down to the DNS management area:

graphic

Click on "Manage your zone file".

You will now see a table presenting your zone file, and three links above it: 'simple', 'normal', and 'expert'. It is actually easier to use the 'expert' interface, so click on that. You will then see something like this (yours will likely be slightly different):

graphic

Google wants you to add a new line in there to verify that you own the domain. They will give you something that they call a 'unique string' (in this example, let's say that they gave you googlefffggghhh12345 as your unique string. In this case, you would need to simply add the following line to your zone file:

googlefffggghhh12345 10800 IN CNAME google.com.

Do not forget to add the dot at the end of the line! This dot is important and tells the server when to stop. (Also, no, you cannot use the code in the example provided for your domain ;) )

Your zone file with then resemble (you may/will have other lines that are different - the important thing is that you add your Google CNAME entry to your existing zone file) the following:

graphic

When you are done, click on the "Submit" button on the bottom of the page to continue.

All that remains now is to wait for the changed to take affect. This can take up to 48 hours.

Let me know if you have any problems please

Hi Michael,

How did it go?

Hi Richard,

Thank you for your VERY well explained mail. It helps me a lot, i only still have one problem, is to find on GoogleSite my own unique string.

Because on their guide they give you an exemple :
googlefffggghhh12345 (your unique string)

but don't say what mine should be..... should i writte anything?!

thanks!

Hi Michael,

Please do the following

Step 1: Go to the below URL (substitute your actual domain name in place of "EXAMPLE")

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/VerifyOwnership

Step 2: You will get to a page where it says "Verify your domain ownership" with a drop down box

Step 3: Select "Change your CNAME record" as an option from the drop down box

Step 4: You will see your unique string in bullet number 2

Please let me know if you still have difficulties

thank you,

when i do go to the url:

carteverteusa.com/VerifyOwnership

i don't get what you tell me....:(

sorry Michael this editor removed the address

Combine the below lines together to make one line

https://www.google.com/

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED/

VerifyOwnership

Sorry this editor can be difficult with some addresses

Edited by Richard C on 6/11/2010 at 1:45 PM EST

grrr still giving problems

Try this

https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/REPLACE WITH YOU DOMAIN/VerifyOwnership

I need to leave in 10 minutes Michael, can you try now for me please as I wont to ensure you dont have problems?

Thanks

thank you....

i try now......
this is what i get:

Sorry, you've reached a login page for a domain that isn't using Google Apps. Please check the web address and try again. Learn more

ok, sorry Michael I thought you had verified the domain with google already.

The below link will give you the instructions on how to verify your domain with google. Then you can complete the process I gave earlier, then you done

Click Me

I'm off now, but will be back later and will respond if you still have problems

Hi Michael,

How did the last step go?