I have downloaded photos from my camera into my PC and I go…

Customer Question
I have downloaded photos from...
I have downloaded photos from my camera into my PC and I go to print them from my Canon MP550 but as soon as I switch on the printer the computor closes down.Before I installed the camera software I could print e-mail photos but I can't do this now - the same thing happens pc closes down. I have uninstalled the camera software but when I try to print from "my pictures" as soon as I switch on the printer the pc closes down. Any sugestions?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/10/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Renju, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Renju
Renju, Computer Software Engineer
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. \

Are you connecting your printer through the USB port ?
Have you tried to insert any other device into the USB port and observed the same problem ?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Connected printer via USB port. Have connected other devices to ports, all ports are ok.

Sometimes , when you have a lot of devices connected to your USB ports, there may be a lack of power for one of them and this may cause the system to shutdown suddenly.
If you have connected other devices to other USB ports, try to remove all of them and connect the printer alone to your computer and check if there is a problem.

Also ,try this setting , if the above method doesn't not work:
Open Device manager-> USB Root Hub -> Right click on it and select Properties -> Got to Power management tab and check if the Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power is enabled, if it is ticked, then you are definitely facing a power problem with your USB.(Too many devices connected)
I have carried out USB check-all are ticked. The only device connected to USB is the mouse. Where next? Apologies for delay in replying but I had hospital appointment
Hi, Ok.

Have you checked this :
Open Device manager-> USB Root Hub -> Right click on it and select Properties -> Got to Power management tab and check the status of Allow Computer to turn off this device to save power and Allow this device to bring the computer out of Standby,

Are they ticked or not ticked ?
Please check both of them.

Good morning

Allow computer to turn off this device to save power is ticked. Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby is not ticked.

Have you tried to do a System Restore to the date before you installed the camera software which seems to have triggered this problem ?

If not, try to do a system restore and see if the problem is solved.

Refer the following link if you are unaware of how to do a system restore:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306084

Edited by Renju on 6/11/2010 at 12:11 PM EST

Hello

System restore does not solve the problem

Ok. Have you tried to connect the printer to other USB ports in your computer ?

Also ,try to insert your mouse into the USB port in which the printer was connected and see if the mouse is able to work properly in there.
Thanks Mouse works fine in all4 USB ports Printer does not- shuts pc down each time
Ok. so there is no problem on the USB port.

Have you connected your printer and computer power supplies to the same UPS ?

If yes, try to plug your printer directly into an AC power point . This is to check if the UPS is unable to supply the current needs of the printer . After this, check if the switching the printer on causes system to shut down.
Done that and system closes down when printer is connected
Hmm..This is a tough one.

Have you tried this same printer on any other system ?

Do you happen to have a USB hub that you can use for troubleshooting purpose ?
Sometimes, System shuts down when the printers draws large amounts of current and USB ports cant provide that much current. Does your USB cord for your printer have an extra connector for power ?
Thanks Answer to both questions is no
Well ,it seems that I have run out of ideas. This seems more like a hardware problem related to printer than something related to your computer.

I will opt out for the time being so that other experts from Just Answer can join you and help you out on this matter. You will get an email when another expert joins this question.

Meanwhile, if I get any solutions, I will post you.

Edited by Renju on 6/11/2010 at 9:48 PM EST
Many thanks for trying

Hi

Just thought after you mentioned hardware problem with printer - I have installed another all-in-one printer and same happens pc closes down when connected Bye for now

Tech Support Specialist: iMayne, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
iMayne
iMayne, Computer Hardware Engineer
Hello.

Question. If you should remove the usb cable from the computer, then power on the printer, will the computer shuts off?

Regards,
iMayne

Hi

Not quite sure what you mean. With the printer on, pc closes down when cable is connected to USB port. Disconnect the cable and pc starts up ok. Interesting too, when I connect a USB 2.0 hi-speed mini hub to USB port on pc the pc closes down. Remove it and pc starts up again.