I have a canon printer/fax/scaner model MX700 and it is giving…

Customer Question
I have a canon printer/fax/scaner...
I have a canon printer/fax/scaner model MX700 and it is giving me an error code 5100 when I try to print. can you please help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/9/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Computer Engineer
Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist
Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

he first is to open the printer and thoroughly check for any jammed paper or paper scraps in the printer. This is the most obvious possibility and the easiest to fix.

The next one to try is this. In the printer there is a thin (1/4" wide) plastic strip that runs across the width in front of and below the drive belt. This is part of the opitcal encoder that tells the print head where it is. If you look closely, there are black vertical lines on this strip. If the strip gets crud on it, you will get this error on the start-up sequence. Gently clean this strip with a damp lint-free cloth. This could also fix printing issues as well.

If that still doesn't work, the last step is to grease the track the print carriage slides along. Apply grease to as much of the track as you can reach without disassembling the printer and rub some along the underside of the track. You will probably still get the error at first, but keep opening and closing the printer so the carriage slides back and forth and hopefully it will go away after a few tries.