hello My Microsoft outlook is not allowing me to view my inbox…

Customer Question
hello My Microsoft outlook is not...
hello
My Microsoft outlook is not allowing me to view my inbox or other folders. It is pointing me to the "in-box repair kit" but the path it has pointed me to does not exist. Is there any facility for a virtual assist you can connect me with?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/9/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Sudipto, Hardware Engineer replied 8 years ago
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
WELCOME TO JUST ANSWER!! My name isXXXXX will assist you to solve or identify your problem.

Which version of Office do you use like 2003 or 2007 etc...?

sorry for dumb response, I think 2003 - but is there an easy way to check?

gavin

When you open MS outlook you can see the version...
It goes through the launch page straight into the main page,
You can see the vesion from the Programs list....
It looks as though it is 2007 - as it is part of the MS office 2007 suite
  1. Exit Outlook if it is running.
  2. Double-click Scanpst.exe, located at C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12.
  3. In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, enter the name of the .pst or .ost (generally Outlook.pst) file that you want to check, or click Browse to search for the file.
  4. To specify the scan log options, click Options, and then click the option that you want.
  5. Click Start.
  6. If errors are found after the scan is complete, you will be prompted to start the repair process to fix the errors.

A backup file is created during the repair process. To change the default name or location of this backup file, in the Enter name of backup file box, enter a new name, or click Browse to look for the file that you want to use.

1. Click Repair.
  2. Start Outlook by using the profile that contains the .pst file that you tried to repair.
  3. On the Go menu, click Folder List.

In the Folder List, you may see a folder named Recovered Personal Folders that contains your default Outlook folders or a Lost and Found folder. The recovered folders are usually empty, because this is a rebuilt .pst file. The Lost and Found folder contains the folders and items recovered by the Inbox Repair tool. Items that are missing from the Lost and Found folder cannot be repaired.

1. If you see a Recovered Personal Folders folder, you can create a new .pst file, and drag the items in the Lost and Found folder into the new .pst file. When you have finished moving all the items, you can remove the Recovered Personal Folders (.pst) file, including the Lost and Found folder, from your profile.

I got as far as the office12 folder and there is nothing called " Scanpst.exe"

Tech Support Specialist: Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Maggie P
Maggie P, Computer Support Specialist
Hello

Open My Computer and select Tools > Folder Options > View.
Under the Hidden files and folders section select Show hidden files and folders.
Remove the checkmark from
  • Hide file extensions for known file types.
  • Hide protected operating system files.
Press the Apply then OK.

Navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12 and let me know if you can see the scanpst.exe file now.

I have windows 7, where do I go to get to my computer?
Sorry in Windows 7 click the Start orb and click Computer. Click Organize > Folder and search options. From the View tab select Show hidden files and folders. Uncheck Hide extensions for know file types and Hide protected operating system files (Recommended). Click Apply and OK.
I followed those steps, but still cannot see the Scanpst.exe
Check in the following locations for scanpst.exe

• c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE12
  • c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
  • c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\NT
  • c:\Program Files\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033
  • c:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12
  • c:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\Mapi\1033\
  • c:\Program Files(x86)\Common Files\System\MSMAPI\1033

If you still cannot find it type scanpst.exe in the Start search box.

Does this help?

sorry, none of these addresses or the search are finding the files.

My original question had been can somebody use virtual assist software to do this for me - as such I regret I cannot accept your answers

I'm sorry we are not permitted to connect remotely. We don't expect you to accept until your problem has been solved and you are satisfied with your answer. We can continue to help you here if you are happy to do so.

If so then click Start > Computer then click Organize > Folder and search options and select the Search tab.
  • Under How to search put a check in Don't use the Index when searching the file system (might be slow).
  • Under When searching non-indexed locations put a check in Include system directories
Click Apply then OK.

Try typing scanpst.exe into the Start search box now.

If you still don't find scanpst let me know if you have the CD for Office or the downloaded Setup file.

Hi tried those steps, still no luck

I do have the disks

OK make a backup copy of your .pst files.

Run the setup file from the disk and choose to Repair the installation.

If you still don't have the scanpst file then uninstall Outlook and restart the computer before reinstalling.

Let me know how that goes.