Hello, We have a compputer running Windows XPP SP3. Since…

Customer Question
Hello, We have a compputer...

We have a compputer running Windows XPP SP3. Since Monday Jun 7 2010, after shutdown the computer it couldn't be bring up again. Windows xp boots up as usual to the log on screen, as soon as i input the correct password, windows will play the log on sound and then just automatically logoff again, we had many attempts to try and get windows to stay running including booting from CD and copy the userinit.exe, but unsuccesful.

any help is greatly appreciated, thank you.
Raymond
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/9/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist

Copying the userinit.exe did not work because it's a spyware/virus that set the computer to run along with usernit.exe (that spyware just want to log off the computer). Now an easy solution would be to boot from the Windows XP CD and repair Windows (see instructions here if needed). But the other way to do is below:

In order to try fixing this issue: you need to have your Windows XP cd disc with Service Pack 1 or higher (borrow the cd from someone if you do not have one). You need another working computer with CD burner/writer.

- Click here to create a CD for fixing. From that webpage, for step number one, you can just click here , then scroll down near the bottom under the Download section, and click on the first link to download the Bart PE software, and then install it. Continue with the rest of the steps.

Then follow the following instructions:
  1. Insert the BartPE CD into the drive, and boot the system from the CD. Once the file loading phase is over, click on the icon on the bottom left, then click on Command Prompt.
    View Full Image

Registry Editor
  2. Type Regedit.exe in the prompt, and press Enter. Click on the HKEY_USERS hive to select it
  3. From the File menu, choose the Load Hive option. Browse to your Windows installation drive, for example the following location:

C:\Windows\System32\Config\

View Full Image

Load Hive option
  1. Select the file named SOFTWARE (the file without any extensions), and click Open
    View Full Image

Select the Hive
  2. Type any name for the hive that you've loaded now. (Example: MyXPHive)
    View Full Image

Name the Hive
  3. Now the SOFTWARE hive is loaded, and present under the HKEY_USERS base hive.
  4. In order to fix the Userinit value in the loaded hive, navigate to the following location:

HKEY_USERS \ MyXPHive \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Winlogon

1. Double-click Userinit and set it's value correctly. Example: Set it's data as follows:

C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

(Include the trailing comma also.)

View Full Image

Fixing a key
  1. After entering the correct data, you MUST unload the Hive. To do so, click on MyXPHive branch to select it, and then in the File menu, choose Unload Hive. It's important to note that you'll need to select the MyXPHive branch first, before unloading it.
    View Full Image

Unload the hive
  2. Quit BartPE and restart Windows. See if you're able to logon to your profile.
After you are able to login to Windows. I recommend you do a virus scan with these two free software:
http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol

Thanks,
-Viet

I believe we have done the complete procedure already but the problem persists. We have follow this procedure.
BartPE http://windowsxp.mvps.org/peboot.htm

Look forward for your further advise.

Thanks,
Raymond

So you did modify the registry?
NO, bacuase we found the registry entry appears to be correct when comparing to a normal computer.
The registry that needs to be changed is:

Set Userinit to C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,.

The Userinit item must be set exactly as above. Did you see it exactly as that?

Thanks,
-Viet

Yes, exactly. We have the registry as the follow, without the full stop.

Set Userinit to C:\Windows\System32\Userinit.exe,

Thanks,

Raymond

Can you repair Windows then?

That would be the last thing we want to do, only if all other trials were failed.

Thanks,
Raymond

That's the only thing I have tried successfully when having logging off issue. Sorry repairing Windows is the only way now. It won't delete any of your data files.

Thanks,
-Viet
Tech Support Specialist: Renju, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
Renju
Renju, Computer Software Engineer

I will try to assist you on this matter.

Are you able to boot your computer in Safe Mode ?
Tap on F8 while windows is loading.

Yes, we have managed to boot in Safe Mode, however, as soon as we key in password XXXXX login the machine logoff automatically. Same as in normal mode.

Thanks,
Raymond

While in Safe mode, if the login window is opened, try to enter user name as administrator and leave password XXXXX See if it works.

After choosing Safe mode, if it still not letting you inside, then I guess the only option is to do a System Restore by booting up using your Windows CD or if that too doesnt help, then Repair the windows installation.

The following link helps you to learn how to do a system restore (It will not affect any of the user files in your computer). It will take much lesser time that the windows re installation.
Click here

We run throught the Event Log and found the following.

While attempting to login, the DCOM service tried to start but failed.

DCOM Error detail. {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

Same pattern happened everytime we try to login in normal mode or save mode. Event log service started, encountered DCOM error above and then Event log service stopped at each login. It appears the computered was infected with viruses.

Thanks,
Raymond

From what I can make out , this is probably due to a virus, that has infected the boot sector of your computer.

That is why, you are having difficulties even logging into the system.

I still think that you may have to do a system restore or windows repair to get your computer working normally again.

I have quite a lot of data including MS Office/Outlook, music, videos, photos etc.

Will the system restore or windows repairing affecting any of the stored data?

Thanks,
Raymond

A Repair Install, in theory, will replace all the system files with the files on the XP CD used for the Repair Install. It will leave your applications and settings intact, but Windows updates will need to be reapplied.

But, this can not always be 100% true, from personal experience , i have learned that there are always some problems that may occur. Your Music, Videos and photos, Office files will not be affected for sure, but i am not very confident of the outlook pst file. Sometimes, they may get corrupted. Outlook has a repair tool that can fix most pst errors.

We are also not sure about the extent of infection caused by the virus. I hope it has only affected system files.

I would recommend you to install a good anti-virus in your computer for preventing such situations in future.