I got a virus and removed it. It was ugly in that it messed…

Customer Question
I got a virus and...
I got a virus and removed it. It was ugly in that it messed with the .exe and .com in the registry so it would only run adware. When adware and virus removed then the computer would not run. I managed to find software that would allow me to use the Windows Restore function, I wish I had found this first, without running Windows and it was successful. I still have a problem. My hard drive will not boot up on this computer, I get the Blue Screen of Death saying something is wrong with the Hard drive with tech info stop: 0X0000007b, C0X7C1B524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000. I thought I would give a shot at working on the hard drive on another computer. The other computer used an IDE hard drive (I think) and the one I added was a SATA and the computer I moved the hard drive booted from the newly installed SATA drive. I mean it did in fact boot when it would not boot on the other computer, I moved it back and I got the same bsod, any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/9/2010
Tech Support Specialist: joytinu, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
joytinu
joytinu, Computer Support Specialist
Hi

Thanks for your question.
Please try starting in safe mode.

http://www.pchell.com/support/safemode.shtml

In safe mode run a virus scan. and run registry cleaner

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

if you cant start in safe mode then its a hardware problem. most likely RAM memory sticks..

also make a backup on other computer.
Ok, other things I did. lol

I cannot start in safe mode, but I will try your cleaner out on the one it does run on.

Evidently, while it is not much memory, the computer I am looking at has 2 memory sticks which add up to 1 gig. The computer is a Dell and has a little feature you can use before boot up which does a diagnosis of the computer, I did the quick diagnosis and it appears that the memory is ok. 1 gig while not being much I think should be enough.

I guess I will pick up another gig - I made a back up already.

Very strange really, as I understand it, before it was overcome by the virus it ran ok.

Oh well, I will get back to you if this works or fails.
yes thats strange.

were you able to repair?
insert windows CD and restart and select REPAIR
The memory did not fix the problem. Unfortunately, it is a Dell without Windows CD. The hard drive still works on other system. I can use restore from there but it was restored and still would not boot on other system. Is there something in the Registry which refers to the computer in some way - perhaps this has been corrupted?

The computer, since it fails to boot, goes to the safe mode booting menu and when you select any method to boot the Windows logo appears with the black bar and blue increment rectangle in the center which tells you windows is booting and instantly, but this appearance is just for a moment as it immediately goes to the blue screen. I know the computer sees the hard drive. Also on one of the boot methods (safe with command line I believe) you can see the various files getting called as it boots so the hard drive is being read, I assume, but then it goes again to the blue screen of death.

I mean it sort of seems like a registry problem but it will run on the other computer.

Frustrating.
Hi

registry cant cause it.
however if you want you can use this cleaner

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

I suggest make a backup and do a reinstall..