I have a Dell computer monitor about 5 years old that is dead,

Customer Question
except that the power button...
I have a Dell computer monitor about 5 years old that is dead, except that the power button is blinking. You cannot power the monitor down using the button and unplugging the power cord does not fix the problem. Screen is still dead. Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/9/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Dan, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Dan, Computer Support Specialist

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer, I would be happy to help you today.

Is this a flat screen monitor or the old tube type?

monitor is a flat screen model E173FP. it has been working okay for a long time. but today as i was online, it suddenly went dead. no thunderstorm, power glitch or anything. now it just sits there with the power button blinking. can't power down or anything. if i unplug, and replug it still sits there blinking with a black screen. i checked the connector line to the computer and it seems okay. any ideas on what to do next?

Flat screens have a back light in them to illuminate the screen so you can see your desktop. They will eventually burn out and will need to be replaced. You can find the back light which is a small florescent bulb, by doing a search using the make and model of the monitor. What you may not be willing to do is open the monitor to replace the bulb. Some can be a little difficult to replace for an inexperienced person so you may want to check out a local repair shop to do it for you. By the time you add parts and labor, you may be able to buy a new monitor just as cheap. To check your monitor, you may be able to see what is on the screen by holding a flash light at just the right angle and while doing that move your mouse around and see if you can see it