I am a bookkeeper who is hosting quickbooks on a windows 2003…

Customer Question
I am a bookkeeper who...
I am a bookkeeper who is hosting quickbooks on a windows 2003 server for a client who has a Lexmark Prvail Pro 705 printer. I have downloaded the driver (windows 2000, XP, Vista,windows 7). The printer shows up in the printer and faxes area but when we print a test page it comes out blank. Do you have a solution?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Computer
6/9/2010
Tech Support Specialist: David L, Systems Engineer replied 8 years ago
David L
David L, Systems Engineer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX am here to assist you.

First I need more information. What is the name of the operating system running on the client computer?

And just to clarify, the printer is connected to the client computer correct?

The client's computer is running Windows 7 and yes the computer is connected to the clients computer. I am pasting below a copy of a chat that I had with LexMark for your review. Since then we have redownloaded the driver as he suggested. We still get blank test pages but in quickbooks we get a blue band down the page when we try to print. My IT guy said to try to download the same driver we have on the server to the client's computer. This hasn't been done yet and the client's are concern that they won't be able to print locally if they do. Here is the chat:

[De Jester] I am hosting my clients quick books on a windows 2003 server and i have downloaded the driver for windows 2000, Vista, ect and the printer show up in the printers and faxes area but it only prints blank pages. Any solution?
[Kristopher] Welcome to Lexmark Chat Support. My name is Kristopher.
[Kristopher] Here is our Chat ID and will also serve as your reference number for these chat: 8169921243914156946.
[Kristopher] I will be glad to assist you with printing concern.
[Kristopher] Hi De is this the first time you contacted us regarding this issue?

[De Jester] Thanks
[De Jester] yes
[Kristopher] Please let me know the printer model number printed on the top of the printer front panel (Example: X2690).
[De Jester] it's a Lexmarl Prvail Pro 705. The printer is not physically here. It's at my clients office. We work together virtually.
[Kristopher] De just to isolate the software issue. Can we check if we can print from different different program like notepad or wordpad?
[De Jester] No, we can't.
[Kristopher] What is the Operating System of the computer?
[De Jester] This is an internet server that hosts quickbooks. it is a windows 2003 server
[Kristopher] May I kindly ask if the printer is printing blank page? Or not responding at all?
[De Jester] It is printing balnk pages
[Kristopher] De let's try to print a test page.
[Kristopher] On the printer kindly click on setup then select maintenance then press on print test page.
[De Jester] I have to call my client ans ask him to that. Which I did right before I started the chat and it when he tried to print a test page it was blank. The printer works fine locally just not on the virtual server.
[Kristopher] Thank you.
[De Jester] Do you understand that we are talking about a hosting environment on the internet where the client needs to be able to print from the software we are hosting? I have setup several printers in the past and this is the first one I have had trouble with so I am thinkink there may be a compatability problem or I have downloaded the wrong driver
[Kristopher] I am sorry I am just isolating the hardware vs software.
[De Jester] I understand, thanks
[Kristopher] Thank you very much for understanding.
[Kristopher] De can we please check under printing preferences Enable advance printing kindly uncheck it.
[Kristopher] Then click on apply. Then click on okay.
[De Jester] there is not an enable/uncheck option, there is an advance area that has serveral options:
[De Jester] one option is for blank page suppression
[Kristopher] De let's try under printing properties then advance tab look for enable advance printing.
[De Jester] Ok, I found it and unchecked it and applied
[Kristopher] Now please try to print from quickbook.
[De Jester] I will have to call my client and ask him to try to print. How about a test page first
[Kristopher] Sure please do.
[De Jester] It is still printing a blank page
[Kristopher] Let's try this De.

[De Jester] ok
[Kristopher] Thank you very much.
[De Jester] It is printing
[Kristopher] Please let me know if it is done.
[De Jester] yes, it is completed
[Kristopher] Thank you.
[Kristopher] De please put a check again under enable advance printing.
[Kristopher] Then kindly print.
[De Jester] Ok, I also checked the bank page suppression under printer preferences
[Kristopher] Please try to print.
[De Jester] ok
[Kristopher] Thank you very much for your patience De.
[De Jester] It's a blank page
[Kristopher] De can we please change the print processor to Raw?
[De Jester] Ok, something interesting to note that under printer preferences the printer shows no ink.
[Kristopher] It is not communicating well. Please try to uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. Please consider also the firewall and the anti virus that might blocking the printer software.
[De Jester] Am Iusing the correct driver for the the windows server 2003? I can only download the driver no software.
[De Jester] I downlaod the driver from the internet
[Kristopher] De the driver is correct we might need to uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. If the problem still persist please contact us again.
[De Jester] ok thanks!
[Kristopher] By the way is it connected wireless or with USB Cable?
[De Jester] USB
[Kristopher] Go ahead please uninstall then reinstall the printer driver.
[De Jester] THanks for your help.
[Kristopher] You're welcome; it's been nice to assist you today.

Ok then are you hosting through web services or terminal services or something else?

Also, try using print preview and verify that the information is displayed and then print.

I am hosting through a quickbooks hosting company that uses CFDynamics.com.

There is no print veiw available for the test page and I will have to contact my client to try printing from quickbooks after 1:00 pm pacific time.

Ok then I will check back after you have had a chance to try the print view.
Couldn't get this going fast enough, client is buying a different printer that we know is compatiable.
Ok. Thank you for contacting Just Answer.