Windows 7 wont recognize Verbatim external hard drive.

Windows 7 won't recognize Verbatim...
Windows 7 won't recognize Verbatim external hard drive.
5/25/2010
LaptopPro
LaptopPro, Computer Hardware Engineer
My Name is George
Thank you for using JustAnswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your question
Can you give me some more information please, I need to kow if this is a laptop? Is the external hard drive usb?
My computer is a Dell Studio 540 (desktop). The external hard drive is a Verbatim USB 1TB.
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager

Has this external hard drive ever worked in the past?

When you plug it in, is there any jingle type sound heard from the computer?

Does anything show up when you look in My Computer?

Yes, it worked for about a month after I bought it (on 3-19-10). I was using it to back up my computer, and one day I noticed that it had stopped working several days before. Since then, I've searched the Internet and tried a variety of fixes, but nothing has worked.

One of those sites said it was necessary to install a download from the manufacturer, but I've had no luck finding it.

No jingle, just the sound I always hear when I plug or unplug something. I don't know how to describe it.

Not unless I turn it off and then on again, at which point it appears on "My computer," but still won't back up anything.

Lets check to make sure that the device is working but the internal disk is not activated:

1. Click Start

2. Type in compmgmt.msc and press enter.

3. In the window that opens, expand the selection that says Disk Management.

4. If you see any disks listed that have a description similar to the Verbatim external drive click on it.

5. If in the lower window there is a black strip, we need to create a partition.

6. Right click on the black strip and select New Partition.

7. Follow the prompts to activate the disk. Pick Primary partition, the max size should already be selected, let the system automatically give the drive a letter, choose to format the partition, type in a volume name, and choose NTFS file system.

8. After these prompts hit next to format the disk and see if its working.

There is a blue strip, under which it says 931.51 GB NTFS (Healthy, Active Primary Partition)

When you open My Computer, do you see a hard drive listed that is approximately that size? If so that is the external drive you have connected. (Obvious point I know, but I am just trying to gather as much info as possible on the issue you are having, before I can give an accurate answer.)

When you say you were using it to back up your computer, what was the software you were using to backup with? Was it software provided by Verbatim that came with the hard drive?

When I open "My Computer," the external hard drive is listed as Q: Verbatim--but it may be gone the next time I look. Also, the "Device Manager" lists drives F-P, but there is no Q and no reference (that I couild find) to the Verbatim drive.

I was using the Windows Backup and Restore feature, which had worked perfectly with my previous external drive.

Seems like maybe the connection from the computer to the drive may be at fault.

Do you have another USB cable you can try connecting the drive to the computer?

If not try connecting the drive to a different USB port.

While you have the drive connected, do you occasionally here the USB connect and/or disconnect sound that plays even though the hard drive has been plugged in the entire time?

I've tried several USB ports, and none made any difference. The cable that came with the drive is unlike the other cables I have (The end that plugs into the drive is square, rather than rectangtular).

No, I haven't noticed the "connect and/or disconnect sound" when the hard drive is plugged in.

This is a link to the manufacturer's description of my hard drive:

http://www.verbatim.com/UserFiles/File/USB%20Desktop%20Hard%20Drive%20with%20Nero%20Backup%20Software.pdf

I still can't find the download that's necessary (according to Microsoft) to make it work with Windows 7.

I have to leave for a couple of hours, but I hope we can continue this dialogue when I get back.

I'm back.

Sorry I was also gone from my computer for a bit.

As for the cable, do you have a USB printer anywhere near you? If so the USB printer probably uses a similar cable to the one for the hard drive. Check if the cable has the same connections on both ends and try and see if that will have the drive connect and stay connected.

Also let me add that there does not need to be any download to make this drive work with Windows 7. Its just a simple USB external hard drive and any necessary drivers are automatically installed by Windows when its plugged in. All Windows OS's starting back with Windows 2000 automatically install drivers for external hard drivers when plugged in, there are no extra downloads necessary.

Just wanted you to know that download a special Windows driver for Windows 7 is not part of this problem.

I plugged in the printer cable and started the backup. I'll let you know what happens. Usually it stops after a few minutes, always at the same point.

Ok if it continues to work with the other cable then that must have been the issue.

You will need to replace the cable on the external hard drive. These USB cables can be purchased in any electronics store for they are commonly used cables. Bring one to the store if you feel you will not remember what it looks like and you should be able to find a matching USB cable easily.

Either way let me know how it goes and I will post up an Accept Answer post if you feel I have been helpful.

This morning, the Control Panel--under Backup and Restore--said the Verbatim (Q) drive was "disconnected."

"My Computer" listed only the C and D drives.

This is what has been happening since the problem started.

Although I know that Windows automatically installs the necessary drivers for a simple USB external hard drive, I don't know how to explain this statement on the Windows Compatibility website:

64-bit

Compatible

Free Download Required

Ok I think I have found the download you are talking about. It seems like there was an issue with external hard drives being used on 64 bit versions of Windows 7.

Heres a link to the hotfix: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=070a27e4-17f9-4e61-ad34-25278b325e28&displaylang=en

Download and install the hotfix, then restart your system and reconnect the USB drive.

I am posting this as an answer because it is likely this download will solve the problem. However, if this DOES NOT FIX THE PROBLEM DO NOT CLICK ON ACCEPT ANSWER!!! (I'm not yelling here haha, just don't want you to click on accept answer if there is still work to be done) If thats the case, just don't click accept answer and we'll keep digging in on this one.

Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager
One more thing to try. After installing the hotfix if it still is not working. Go into Device Manager and see if the external hard drive is loaded under disk drives. If it is, right click on it and click uninstall. Then unplug the cable and plug it back in.
I installed the download and the Verbatim drive is now working!!! Thanks for your help.
Always happy to help!
Tom K
Tom K
Tom K, Information Systems Manager