I have a western digital external hard drive( model no. WD800B015-RNN)

Customer Question
that was loaded up with...
I have a western digital external hard drive( model no. WD800B015-RNN) that was loaded up with a friends personal music and given to me as a backup.
I am trying to conect this drive ( to a Dell computer with and XP operating system) and open it up to see what music is there and maybe download some of it.

I have folowed the instructions by installing the Western Digital installation disc with software drivers and followed intrructions. I loaded the Retrospect 6.5 software and all went well until i conneceted the drive per intructions no 3. after pressinf the poer buton the blue light came on BUT THERE IS NO "NEW HARD DRIVE ICON" IN THE MY COMPTER WINDOW. With out the new hard drive icon my computer does not find this new hard drive .

What can I do ????
Please help
Thanks,
Paul [email protected]
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
5/24/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Sibu, Support Specialist replied 7 years ago
Sibu
Sibu, Support Specialist

Thanks for using JustAnswer

Right click the My Computer Icon >>Manage>>
click on Disc Management

and check the external hard disk detected there or not ?

Regards

Sibu
there is no "Manage>>
click on Disc Management " listed under my Computer.!!
Ok

Goto start>>Run

Type compmgmt.msc

then click on disc management
yes there is a WD-install (D:) there . Should i click on this ?
Right click on this and selct change drive letter and path >>change>>assign a new drive letter

then goto My Computer

there you can see the icon now

I did rename it as WD -Install ( W;) .

But now it says intall W.

If i click on it it does not show contents of drive but gives language options and an exset up file.

What next ? How do i accessthe content of this drive ?

Goto My Computer

Right click the W drive and open it

the W file has 10 language files and 1 setup ex file.

On of the language files is in English . If I open the english file it has 7 more files one of which is labeled intsaller it has 7 more files includine another ex set up file.

and so on and on how do i get the drive to install and open to view and trasnsfer the music to a music player ?

Right click the drive icon >>Properties

then tell me how much free space and how much used ?

Uder the Device named " WD _ install (W:) " the total space is 277 MB with 0 free space. it says this is a CD Drive

How can this possibly be the 80 GB External drive ?

The WD-Install(W:) must be only a file or two that is on the [email protected] Digital External drive ?

Dont You Think ?

Why wont this install ? It is supposed to be a Plug and play devise ?

No not this one

please remove any CD if inside

Goto start>>Run

Type compmgmt.msc

then click on disc management

there check the DISC1 dtected or not as WD hard disk

not CD drive
Disk 1 Is "removable "E". and has nothing in it.
Disc 2 ??

There is no disk 2.

There is a a Disc " 0" it says :

Basic 74.5 GB online.

File system is 39 MB Healthy (EISA Configuration.)

And additionally to the right it has :

(C)

74.46 GB NTFS

Health System

DIsc 0 is the internal hard disk ...

that means the external hard disk is not detected

please change the USB cable

and use it another USB port

I changed USB Cables again for the 3 for 4th time. What Now .

I do not believe that the external hard drive is being detected either.

I am using a a usb cable that i wnow works for i am exchanging it with another operational device.

Could it not be detectected because it has not been installed ?

No

It should be detected in disc management after connecting
even before installing software !1

I am exausted tonight and need to go to sleep.

Can we continue this tomorrow?

yes sure

I am sorry but nothing we tried has worked.

I give up on this problem of trying to get my computer to recognize this drive.

I must have a bad drive and will buy a new one.

Yes I think also ...
Sibu
Sibu
Sibu, Support Specialist