Please I need your help.The data required is in an Excel…

Customer Question
Please I need your help. The...
Please I need your help.

The data required is in an Excel file.

I need to (a) use some of the data in this file in letter to be mail merged;

(b) from the data in the Excel file I have to create a document setting out the data in order that the persons to whom the letter is being addressed to confirm the validity... Read full answer
Please I need your help.

The data required is in an Excel file.

(b) from the data in the Excel file I have to create a document setting out the data in order that the persons to whom the letter is being addressed to confirm the validity of the data.

Please advise the cost which I will pay EFT/credit card

Thanking you

Peter [email protected]
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
5/6/2010
Tech Support Specialist: online_help, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
online_help
online_help, Computer Support Specialist
hi there,

I'll be happy to assist you.

just try below solution for step by step solution to do mail merge using the excel.

Mail Merge Using A Spreadsheet

To perform a mail merge using a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, first create the document using a set of values. The document could be a flat database, such as a list of employees, a list of customers, or a record of students. By default, the Mail Merge process will consider a whole spreadsheet and try to use its content. The column headers will be considered as holding categories of data. That's why you should design the worksheet so that the headers on top of each be explicit and organized enough; and these headers should be directly under the already existing column headers that are A, B, C, etc.

If you are not planning to use the whole worksheet or if the top section of your worksheet contains information that is not relevant to the list of items, then you should create a name range and include the cells you need for the mail merge process.

Practice: Create The Letter

1. Start Microsoft Word

2. On the main menu, click Tools -> Mail Merge...

3. From the Mail Merge Helper click Create -> Form Letters...

4. From the Microsoft Word dialog, click New Main Document

Microsoft Word

5. From the Mail Merge Helper again, click Get Data and click Open Data Source...
  6. Mail Merge Helper - Open Data Source

7. From the Open Data Source dialog, click the arrow of the Files Of Types combo box and select MS Excel Worksheets. Using the Look In combo box, locate the folder where the exercise files were installed, it should be C:\My Documents\Mail Merge Files

8. Click Red Oak High School

9. And click Open.

10. From the Microsoft Excel dialog, click Stud_Records

Microsoft Excel

11. And click OK.

12. Now Microsoft Word would like you to create the letter.

Edit Main Document

Click Edit Main Document

13. Now we will create the main letter.
    Your cursor should be blinking on top of the letter.
    Make sure you are working in Print Layout View (on the main menu, click View -> Print Layout).
    Make sure the font is set on the Formatting toolbar as Times New Roman, size 10; otherwise, change it to that font and that size.
    Press Enter to move the cursor down.

14. Press the up arrow key to move the cursor back to the 1st line.

15. Move the Left Indent mark to the 4th mark on the horizontal ruler

Indentation Control

16. Make sure the cursor is still on the 1st line. On the Formatting toolbar, make sure the font is Times New Roman. Change the Font Size to 8

17. Type 12044 Arnolds Drive and press Enter

18. Type Wheaton, MD 20904 and press Enter

19. Type Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNFax:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/strong>

20. Press the down arrow key to move the cursor down to the empty line.

21. Press Enter to gain some space.

22. Type RED OAK HIGH SCHOOL and press Enter

23. Select RED OAK HIGH SCHOOL

24. On the Formatting toolbar, change the font to Garamond, size 24, Bold, color Gray 50%

25. Click anywhere on RED OAK HIGH SCHOOL to make sure it is not selected but the cursor is anywhere on that line

26. If you don't have the Tables And Borders toolbar on your screen, then on the main menu, click View -> Toolbars -> Tables And Borders.

27. If you don't have the Drawing toolbar on your screen, on the main menu, click View -> Toolbars -> Drawing. Position the Tables and Borders and the Drawing toolbars at the bottom section of your screen, position them both side by side.

Tables And Borders And Drawing Toolbars

28. On the Tables and Borders toolbar (which is on the left, on my picture), click the arrow of the Fill Color button and click Gray 10%

29. With the cursor still on that line, position the First Line Indent marker at 0.5 and the Hanging Indent marker at -1 (in the gray section) of the horizontal ruler.

Indentation Control

30. Now we will insert a picture on the letter.
    On the Drawing toolbar, click Text Box, then click somewhere on the left side of RED OAK HIGH SCHOOL

31. With the cursor inside of the text box, on the main menu, click Insert -> Picture -> ClipArt...

32. In the picture categories, click Academic

33. If you are using Microsoft Word 2000, from the list of academic pictures, click the first picture and click Insert

34. Close the Insert ClipArt window. (I think that if you didn't touch anything else on the image, it should have an acceptable size already).

35. Move the text box (with the image in it) to the left of RED. On the Drawing toolbar, click the arrow of the Fill Color button and click No Fill.

36. On the Drawing toolbar, click the arrow of the Line Color and click No Line.

Top Section Of The letter

37. Press Ctrl + End to get to the last empty line of the letter.

38. Position both the First Line Indent and the Hanging Indent marks at 0.5 on the horizontal ruler.

Indentation Control

39. With the cursor under the big title, press Enter 3 times.

40. Press the up arrow key once to move the cursor up one line.

41. On the Standard toolbar, click the Insert Table button and elect to create a table with 4 columns and 1 row (1 X 4 Table)

42. With the cursor in the first cell, type Student:

43. Click inside the 3rd cell and type Mail-To:

44. Change Student: and Mail-To: XXXXX XXXXX Tahoma, size 10.

45. Click inside the second cell.

46. On the Mail Merge toolbar, click Insert Merge Field and click FirstName

47. Press Space

48. On the Mail Merge toolbar, click Insert Merge Field and click LastName

49. Press Enter to move the cursor to the second line inside the cell.

50. On the Mail Merge toolbar, click Insert Merge Field -> MajorCode

51. Press Space and click Insert Merge Field -> MajorName

52. Press Enter and click Insert Merge Field -> Grade

53. Click inside the last cell

54. On the Mail Merge toolbar, click Insert Merge Field -> ParentsNames

55. Press Enter and click Insert Merge Field -> Address

56. Press Enter and click Insert Merge Field -> City

57. Press Space and click Insert Merge Field -> State

58. Press Space and click Insert Merge Field -> ZIPCode

59. With the cursor still inside the last cell, on the Tables and Borders toolbar, click the arrow of the Outside Border button and click No Border

60. Click inside of one of the other cells and press F4 (to repeat the last action).

61. Remove the borders on the other two cells.

62. Click on the empty line that is just under RED OAK.

63. Press Ctrl + R to align the cursor to the right.

64. On the main menu, click Insert -> Insert Date And Time...

65. From the Date And Time dialog, click the 3rd date

Date And Time

66. And click OK

67. Press Ctrl + End to get to the last line of the letter.

68. Type Dear and click Insert Merge Field -> ParentsNames

69. Press Enter and type

The Red Oak High School, in conjunction with the Montgomery County School System, would like you to honor us with your presence at this year-end's student award ceremony this Saturday October 24 at 7:30 PM.

The students with good and higher grades will receive the evening's special mentions. At the event, the students with the three highest grades in each matter will receive an honor, silver, or a copper awards. This year's ceremony places a strong emphasis on discipline. We certainly hope that this is a good start and that you are raising a valuable young kid.

The ceremony will start at 7:30 PM with a live session of international and ethnic dances. Although the awards ceremony will start at 8:00 PM, the high level of attractions prepared for the opening door is an entertainment session we encourage you to attend.

We thank you in advance for your participation and attention.

Bernard Glott
    ROSH Principal

70. Press Enter twice and create a table that illustrates the evening program. Here is an example:

Ceremony Program

71. All you have to do now is to read the letter

source:http://functionx.com/mailmerge/excel.htm

Hope it will help you.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer!

Good Luck!

---------------------------------------
Just ACCEPT the answer so that i can get paid for my efforts and time.

If not help, then Ask me Again or repost your query instead of giving negative feedback.

Show your kindness by giving Positive Feedback and Bonus.

Thanks
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
Penn college computer alliance need now Microsoft Word 2016
Penn foster college computer alliance need now Microsoft Word 2016 1. Font size, font style, and _______ are all aspects of character formatting. A. typeface B. indentation C. line spacing. D. alignme… read more
Kris R
Kris R
IT Manager,
Computing
I need to create about one thousand labels to merge into
I need to create about one thousand labels to merge into labels in Word 2010. The labels (bates labeling) start with a prefix then a number that goes up. Example GT00001 GT00002 GT00003 and so on up t… read more
projectx2501-PHD-DBA
projectx2501-PHD-DBA
Director of Information Technology,
Just downloaded a trial version of officer 2010 I think it
Just downloaded a trial version of officer 2010 I think it is the small business version. I am trying to run the email merge function on Word so it sends multiple individual emails, using data from an… read more
Steve
Steve
Consultant,
Bachelor
Stop searching for answers—
I would like to mail merge an Excel file into a letter created
I would like to mail merge an Excel file into a letter created in Word. The letter has to be sent to a number of agencies each of which will have a number of people working for them. Some agencies may… read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
Yesterday I got advice on merging files, thinking I have Word
Yesterday I got advice on merging files, thinking I have Word 2007. I don't. I have 2004. Are the directions different for 2004. (There is no down arrow at the right side of Object under Insert. I can… read more
Rojus Alappat
Rojus Alappat
How do I create a chart in a mail merge letter whose values
How do I create a chart in a mail merge letter whose values come from the data source used for the mail merge, such that the chart values are updated with each new receipient? I can use either Word 20… read more
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Bachelor's Program
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I am attempting to perform a WordPerfect merge using WP versi
I am attempting to perform a WordPerfect merge using WP version 9.0. While I have successfully done this in the past, I am having some problems. Do you provide telephone support to walk through the pr… read more
I am trying to do a mail merge. Having problems getting Word
I am trying to do a mail merge. Having problems getting Word to recognize an Excel document. HELP! I am getting impatient waiting for a reply to a question which I have stated numerous times. I need t… read more
Vcomputer
Vcomputer
Hi. I am a basic Excel 2007 user, I can write basic formulae
Hi. I am a basic Excel 2007 user, I can write basic formulae and such like, but am no means proficient. I wondered if you can give me some advice? I run a small business, and a lot of work I get is po… read more
Jim Clark
Jim Clark
Web Developer/Database Designer,
Trying do mail merge between an access 2007 query file and
Trying do mail merge between an access 2007 query file and a word 2007 letter, i get the message that word cannot open the data source. Doing the mail merge from access also does not work.… read more
RussellA
RussellA
Solutions Architect,
How do I insert separate images in a mail merge document
How do I insert separate images in a mail merge document? I need a different image (map) for each record. Path names for the maps are stored in the mail merge source.… read more
Computer Specialist,
Thank you for your speedy replyPlease forgive me but I
Thank you for your speedy reply Please forgive me but I am rather backward in dealing with the mail merge. May be I should have advised to that am using Windows XP When I click on the Mail Merge tab (… read more
online_help
online_help
Computer Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
NZ$20 - Creating a Macro that will open a seperate Excel file
NZ$20 - Creating a Macro that will open a seperate Excel file for each change in Budget Manager, including naming the worksheets in that file with the cost centre/s of that particular Budget Manager. … read more
Julio
Julio
I am trying to create mailing labels from in word from list
I am trying to create mailing labels from in word from list from excel and can't figure out how to do it. Can you help me?… read more
Nenad Pasic
Nenad Pasic
IT Manager,
I have Windows7 with Microsoft Office. I have an Email address
I have Windows7 with Microsoft Office. I have an Email address list but how do I get to make an actual address list? How can I get to print the address list on labels eg. for Xmas cards?… read more
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler
Senior Network Engineer,
Had a massive power flop last night and my TBird profile is
Had a massive power flop last night and my TBird profile is all corrupted. Of course, I have no B/U of the mail folders which I have created over the paast x-number of years. Is there a way I can copy… read more
Santonu
Santonu
Hardware Engineer,
PGDCA
In microsoft outlook email, I want to send a thank you letter
In microsoft outlook email, I want to send a thank you letter to a distribution list of 100. I don't want to display each email address in the To: XXXXX XXXXX I would like to personalize each letter b… read more
Simit
Simit
How do I prepare a label that includes cells in word 07
My label includes 2 cells, w/1 cell split into 2 for a total of 3(?). I need help, as I know I (1) have to get the info for my label set up, and since it includes cells, I need to merge them, THEN I n… read more
John D
John D
Bachelor Degree in Engineering