Im having a problem deleting messages from both inbox and…

Customer Question
I'm having a problem deleting...
I'm having a problem deleting messages from both inbox and deleted items box in my Outlook Express 6 program (using MS Windows XP Pro). This has happened before, but not as severely and problem has gone away. Now it's back full-time and won't delete anything from these boxes.Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?... Read full answer
I'm having a problem deleting messages from both inbox and deleted items box in my Outlook Express 6 program (using MS Windows XP Pro). This has happened before, but not as severely and problem has gone away. Now it's back full-time and won't delete anything from these boxes.Any ideas what's wrong and how to fix it?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Computer
4/11/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Santonu, Computer Support Specialist replied 9 years ago
Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist

Please try the following steps and let me know the results:

A Open Outlook Express

Click File menu-> Folder-> Compact All Folders

When completed, restart Outlook Express.

Now try to delete a message.

B If the problem remains, use the following procedure

1 In Outlook Express and click Tools-> Options

2 Click Maintenance tab

3 Click Store Folder

Select the path displayed for store folder and copy it (select the entire path with your mouse, right click and select Copy)

4 Click Ok twice to close the dialog boxes.

5 Close Outlook Express

6 Click Start-> Run

Right click and select Paste (you need to right click on the Run box and select Paste)

7 Press Enter or click Ok

A window should open

8 Look for the file Deleted Items

Select and delete it

9 Start Outlook Express and try to delete a single email

It should now recreate the Deleted Items folder

If you face any problem with the steps, let me know so that I can follow up further.

Thanks

Step A allowed deletion of "Deleted Items" box messages, but Inbox messages still would not delete. In Step B I got as far as #8, but the window which opened was titled "Application Data" and I couldn't find the Deleted Items file anywhere, including in the Microsoft and Outlook folders. Tried it three times - same result. So we've still got half of the problem to fix...

I have not yet received an answer to my second message today (6:17 p.m., indicating that the problem is only partially solved). I'll be here until around 10 a.m. in the morning, then away for 3 days. If no reply by 10 a.m. I'll check my e-mail on return Wed. p.m.

First my apologies for the delay.

Can you tell me what happens when you try to delete a message from Inbox now. Do you get any error message ?

Also try turning off the preview pane in Outlook Express

Open Outlook Express and click on Local Folders

Click View -> Layout

Uncheck Show Preview Pane.

Click Apply and Ok

Then try pressing the Shift and Delete keys after highlighting a message in Inbox

Let me know the results

Edited by Santonu on 4/12/2010 at 1:54 PM EST

Dear Santonu, I'm just back from 3 days away and am responding to your 4/12 9:54 a.m. messaage: When trying to delete a selected/highlighted Inbox message, nothing happens at all, and there's no error message.

I turned off the Preview pane per your instructions and tried the Shift/Delete keys, which brought up the message "Are you sure you want to permanently delete these messages" screen. After clicking the OK on this, the message did delete (NOTE: I've only seen this message previously when deleting a message from the "Deleted Items" box, never in the Inbox mode. Clicking on the red-X "Delete" icon on the taskbar above the message screen doesn't do anything, even with the Shift key depressed.

So we have a solution of sorts, but it's not yet a really satisfactory ohe, because I usually have a large number of Inbox message deletes necessary every p.m. and this would be a much slower and more cumbersome way to try to do this job. Does any of this help in trying to restore the correct Delete icon function, which is really what I'm looking for???

Thanks for your help to date -

Hank Childs

Lets try the following steps :

1 Open Outlook Express

2 Click File menu-> Work Offline

3 Right click on the Loacal Folders in the left pane

4 Select New Folder..

5 Type TempInbox in the name field and click Ok

6 Click on Inbox on the left pane.

7 Select all messages (Press Ctrl + A)

8 Either right click on any message and select Move To Folder...

OR

Click Edit menu-> Move To Folder...

9 Select TempInbox and click Ok to move all messages from Inbox to the temporary folder.

10 Close Outlook Express

11 Open My Computer. Click Tools menu-> Folder Options

Click View tab

Under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders

Uncheck the checkbox Hide protected operating system files

Click Apply and Ok

12 Now look for the following path in your C drive

C:\Documents and Settings\ username \ Local Settings \Application Data \Identities\{93E4EFD2-79FA-40C3-A5B6-47FAAE0DD8B8} \Microsoft \Outlook Express\

Here, username -> your windows login name

{93E4EFD2-79FA-40C3-A5B6-47FAAE0DD8B8} -> will be a little different for you

13 Once you open the path, you will see the files used by OE, like Inbox.dbx, Outbox.dbx.....

14 Right click on Inbox.dbx and select Rename

Change the name to OldInbox.dbx

15 Start Outlook Express and it will recreate a Inbox

16 The final step will be to move the messages from TempInbox to Inbox

17 Also remember to uncheck the option Work Offline under File menu (if it is still checked)

Edited by Santonu on 4/15/2010 at 11:46 AM EST

Dear Santonu, I applied what looked like an elegant fix per your suggestion last message, and created the new Inbox, with all messages properly moved into it. Things are somewhat better, in that I can now delete messages from the "Deleted Items" box using the taskbar Delete button or the R-click Delete function. However, trying to delete Inbox items is still not right. Some of them will delete properly, but only about 1/4 of them - for the rest I still need to use the Shift/Delete workaround you gave me earlier on. I wish I new exactly WHY the usual Delete button isn't working right and hope you can solve this problem. Sorry it's turning out to be such a stubborn issue, but as the saying goes:" Computers!!! You can't live with 'em and you can't live without 'em"!!!!

Hank Childs

The problem can sometime occur when you have too many messages in your Inbox.

You can try to compact the folders once more :

In Outlook Express

Now try to delete a message.

Another option is create a couple of folders under Local Folders and move some of the messages from Inbox to those folders.

Then Compact the folders again

Let me know.

Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist

Bingo! Compacting seemed to do the trick (I had already deleted out the >2000 Deleted Files messages). I'm a little surprised that compacting did the trick, because I let the program compact everything only a couple of weeks ago, but it does look like file overloading was most likely the trouble. I'll have to pay more attention to deleting these unwanted files before the pile up too much in the future. Thanks for all the help!!

HDC

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I have a Dell Computer and am running Windows XP operating
I have a Dell Computer and am running Windows XP operating system. My email comes in through Outlook Express. I have found that some emails cannot be deleted from my inbox and some in my "Sent" box ca… read more
Erik B.
Erik B.
Network Engineer,
I use outlook 2007 with my webmail set up as an IMAP4 account
I use outlook 2007 with my webmail set up as an IMAP4 account which has worked perfectly until last month. Now when I delete emails from the inbox instead of going to the trash folder they disappear a… read more
Network & System Administrator,
I am using Outlook Express 6.0. When I send an email it goes
I am using Outlook Express 6.0. When I send an email it goes into my "outbox" and keeps resending. It will not go to the "sent item". To stop it from resending, I have to move it from the outbox to dr… read more
IT Consultant,
Stop searching for answers—
Hello. Its been a long time since we last chatted. Anyway,
Hello. It's been a long time since "we" last chatted. Anyway, I have a Dell 8300, Windows XP Pro and I use Outlook Express for mail. The Outlook Express has been acting up over the months and now I fi… read more
Santonu
Santonu
Computer Support Specialist,
PGDCA
My Outlook Express has disappeared my entire inbox. How can
My Outlook Express has disappeared my entire inbox. How can I get it back? I still have my Sent Items, Deleted Items and sub categories boxes.… read more
Danh
Danh
Am running Outlook Express 6 in windows XP Pro. Keep getting
Am running Outlook Express 6 in windows XP Pro. Keep getting a pop up message "to save disk space outlook express can compact messages...After compacting, pop up continues every few minutes and at sta… read more
Maggie P
Maggie P
HNC Computing
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
For the past 24 hours I have been unable to send E-mails. Since
For the past 24 hours I have been unable to send E-mails. Since Orange have reconfigured my orange/wanadoo account today, my incoming e-mails are going into my delete folder. Is there a quick fix. Ian… read more
Leon Russell
Leon Russell
ITS Technician,
I was having my email program (Outlook Express) compact the
I was having my email program (Outlook Express) compact the volume of email on my PC when I had to do a force quit and reboot. Since then, Outlook Express can not open the Inbox or Outbox mail history… read more
APARAJITA
APARAJITA
IT Consultant / Advocate Delhi Court,
Micrsoft Certified Professional
I am unable to delete messages from outlook. It comes up with
I am unable to delete messages from outlook. It comes up with an error saying not enough disk/memory space… read more
Nalosin
Nalosin
Computer Support Specialist,
I have an older computer with Windows XP Home Edition, version
I have an older computer with Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002, service Pak 3. I am running Outlook Express version 6. I have one email that I received 12/28, opened and read it and sent it to th… read more
Titchy
Titchy
Senior Help Desk Technician,
Hi, something has gone wrong with my MS Outlook Express 6.
Hi, something has gone wrong with my MS Outlook Express 6. I had about 1000 messages in my sent items box, which have all disappeared. New ones sent are not going into sent items, and are also remaini… read more
Nenad Pasic
Nenad Pasic
IT Manager,
I am on my mothers older computer with windows xp installed.
I am on my mothers older computer with windows xp installed. As of a couple weeks ago she has not been able to delete ANY emails from any folder. I tried doing a restore two 3 weeks ago and it didnt h… read more
Computer Support Specialist,
Stop searching for answers—
I have yet to solve the problem of being able to delete from
I have yet to solve the problem of being able to delete from my inbox and sent box to the delete mode. May we give it another try?… read more
David L
David L
Im trying to help a friend with her problem with Outlook Express
I'm trying to help a friend with her problem with Outlook Express 6. Her Inbox has some emails that will not open and there is NO warning as to why. Those emails cannot be deleted or even "moved" to t… read more
toughguy
toughguy
After months of no problems suddenly emails downloaded into
After months of no problems suddenly emails downloaded into the inbox in outlook express do not appear.In the receiving mail it shows incoming mail and the "inbox shows number of messages received but… read more
RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions
Technician, Developer,
I am not able to delete email messages while in outlook express
I am not able to delete email messages while in outlook express by either clicking the red X or by the delete key or by dragging the message to the delete file folder. Also my sent messages file is hu… read more
Ryan B.
Ryan B.
Desktop Support Technician,
My MSN, Microsoft Outlook Express email account wont let me
My MSN, Microsoft Outlook Express email account won't let me delete any of my emails. I've tried rebooting, emptying my delete file, ctr'l D, right mouse - delete, and none of these will activate the … read more
Ryan B.
Ryan B.
Desktop Support Technician,
How do I remove a trojan horse Have run Macaffe, spybot ...
How do I remove a trojan horse? Have run Macaffe, spybot and ad-aware scans but still have emails stuck in Outlook. Thanks… read more
Dave K
Dave K
Charter Captain & I.S. Director,