How do I change the aspect ratio for a Samsung widescreen monitor

Customer Question
to 4:3? I think...
How do I change the aspect ratio for a Samsung widescreen monitor to 4:3? I think it is a Samsung 953BW monitor.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Computer
4/3/2010
Tech Support Specialist: Shauqat, Computer Engineer replied 7 years ago
Shauqat
Shauqat, Computer Engineer
Hi

Thank you for your query

Please can you try the following

Right click in the middle of the desktop and click on personalize, then click on display settings, adjust the display properties to 800X600 (4:3) and then click apply and then OK

This should cure the issue

Regards
Shauqat
I guess. The quality is now so poor I don't know if I can use it.

I'm trying to take screen shots which should be in a 4:3 ratio. That's all I can get out of Samsung, take it back to 800x600?
1200X900 is also a 4:3 ratio, this will give you a much clearer picture

Regards
Shauqat
unfortunately, I cannot get 1200x900 from the display settings. It skips from 1152x864 to 1280x720.
Ok

Please can you try the following

Go to the nVidia Control Panel

- Go in the tab with a name that must look like "Frequency and monitor resolution"

- Check the box "Show HDTV classic format" (or something like that), it will now consider your monitor as an HDTV.

- Click "Apply" and close any window open from "Display properties"

- Go back in the nvidia control panel.

- Go in the "Frequency and monitor resolution" tab again.

- Click on "Add" to Add a new resolution.

- Enter 1200 x 900 + 32 bits + 60 Hz

- In the "Advanced Syncronisation tab" : Select Center image

- Put the same values as in the screenshot below (its in french I know yuo will need to copy the values exactly)

//f01.justanswer.com/ref/http_forums.nvidia.com/index.php%253Fact%253Dattach%2526amp%253Btype%253Dpost%2526amp%253Bid%253D3781

- Click Apply.

Regards
Shauqat
That is not what I see in Nvidia Control Panel.

On the left, I see:

3D Settings

Display:
Change resolution
Adjust desktop color settings
Adjust desktop size and postion
Rotate display
View HDCP Status
Set up multiple displays

I would be happy more than that, but I do not.
Ok can you check in 'change resolution'

Regards
Shauqat
Yes, I'm checking there.

I see this:

Apply the following settings:

A box with HD, SD options (these options: 720p, 1280x720, 480p, 720x480

below that, PC resolution options.
Ok

This seems to be because you have the new NVIDIA control panel

Please cn you do the following to get the old style back which should hopefully bring up the other options

1) Click Start in the search box type in regedit
2) Navigate to the following registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies

and change the three parameters from (2) to (1)

click file exit, then go back into the nvidia control panel and advise if the nvidia control panel has changed at all

Regards
Shauqat
I did that. Changed the values.

However, now when I right click on the desktop, the nvidia control panel does not show as an option. Not sure how to get there now.
can you check in Start>Control panel please, see if it is in the windows control panel

Regards
shauqat
got it. Found it.

However, the controls look exactly the same.

You know, maybe there is no way to fix this. I probably just need to buy a non widescreen monitor.
Strange that

Are all the options are the same?

Regards
Shauqat
The options do not appear to be the same. A friend of mine emailed a png shot of her nvidia control panel, and she has options to change the ratio. I don't. And I don't know why.

anyway, thank you so much. I took too much of your time. You have been very helpful!!

Ok, please undo the registry changes made above

It may be your friend has the older drivers installed which have the old Nvidia control panel

no problem

Before you go I have found the following information for you

Resolutions with a 4:3 aspect ratio:

800 x 600
1024 x 768
1152 x 864
1600 x 1200

Resolutions with a 5:4 aspect ratio:

1280 x 1024
1600 x 1280

Please click accept if this has been useful, and leave appropriate feedback if you have time

Regards

shauqat

Shauqat
Shauqat
Shauqat, Computer Engineer